what temp?

DW Frommer II

TVWBB Fan
I want to cook some brats low and slow...I know they're usually done indirect but I want to do them right alongside some chicken I'm doing low and slow.

Can anyone tell me how long they will take (roughly) and what the internal temp should be when I pull them off?

Sausage usually takes 1-2 hours, depending on thickness. 180 degrees internal temperature is what I have heard for sausage. (I've seen some people recommend lower temps, but I have never looked anywhere official).

I rarely, if ever, check the temperature of sausage however. I usually go by feel to determine that it is done. If I am doing a smoke during the day, I love to throw a few sausage on the smoker for lunch.

-Matt

I put a probe in the center of one brat and take them to 160 internal. I usually do mine at higher temps, but I would think about 60-70 minutes should be about right.

I did some brats and italian sausages this past weekend. The article Doug references says to take them to 155 internal, I took them closer to 170. They were a hit with my boys.

I have done brats for about an hour in my WSM, and in truth, it's a little too long. The skin starts to shrink and get wrinkly by them. I think 40 minutes is probably good.

You want them cooked through, but don't peirce the skins. You want them plump and browned.

You can try grilling at a higher temp once they are done to color them up a bit.

Back