What prevents food from grilling on bottom rack?

Bryan B

TVWBB Fan
This may be a dumb question, but what prevents food from being grilled on the bottom rack. To me, it looks like the bottom rack is awfully close to the charcoal bowl. I have only used my new WSM once and used the top rack, but I am intrigued at the possibility of being able to use both. Does the water pan have to be on to prevent the bottom rack food from being cooked directly?

The water pan acts as a heat diffuser & with H2O in it as a heat sink. As long as the meat is within the area protected by the pan it smokes fine. Actually the bottom rack may be cooler than the top.

Yes, the water pan has to be there for indirect heat. If it were not there and your grate temp were high enough you could grill on either grate. I and many others have done so. I think it is generally accepted that even using the WSM as a smoker the grate temp on the lower grate is a bit higher than the top.

Mark

Thanks for the replies. So, just to clarify, I can use the bottom rack to smoke with either an empty or full water pan? I prefer not to use water....thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan B:
Thanks for the replies. So, just to clarify, I can use the bottom rack to smoke with either an empty or full water pan? I prefer not to use water....thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You will still need to do something to prevent the empty water pan from radiating heat to the lower grate. Many people make several balls of loosely crumpled foil-- about tennis ball size-- place them in the pan, and then cover the entire pan with HD foil. It acts as an insulator.

If you only need one rack I recommend using the top.

When using both racks and an empty pan I have found the bottom is a bit warmer...HOWEVER, if you keep it protected from the wind and leave the lid on, the difference is minimual. Too much fussing and you will definately have two separate cooking zones.

Back