What pork butt injection do you like?

Chris S Lewis

TVWBB Fan
Smoking 2 butts this weekend and want to try injecting. I've cooked many, many butts but never injected before.

I've seen some good ones right here on this forum but was hoping for some, current, first hand favorites. I know some folks don't like to inject,the butts I have are not enhanced and I figured I'd try it and see what me, and the family, think.

Thanks all!

I've used Chris lilly's recipe a few times. Keep in mind that it's intended for comps. I've had people complain that it's too salty for them. For home eating I'll skip the inject or will modify it accordingly.

IMO, injecting butts isn't all that special. I prefer to cook it clean and add flavors after pulling. Don't let me discourage you though, try it for yourself and form your own opinion.

j nailed it. It's more of a comp enhancement. Great for a bite or two, but you wouldn't want to make a meal of it. I've had some really tasty injected butts, but choose not to do it myself at comps or at home.

But to answer your question, Chris Lilly's or one of the commercial injections (Butcher's, Kosmo's, Fab P) seem to work well for others. Pretty much everyone I know doctor up whatever they use. Good Luck!

I make my own rub and sauce, I use very little salt in my rub and injection. I find that the flavor is much more evenly distributed. I prefer to inject for a minute then trying to add flavor come pull time. Thats why I add some of my rub so that the flavors inside mirror the outside. I guess thats why my butts aren't very salty. You cant go wrong either way, just make sure the butt has a lot of fat in for flavor.

IMO, injecting butts isn't all that special. I prefer to cook it clean and add flavors after pulling. Don't let me discourage you though, try it for yourself and form your own opinion.

I agree as well! One: the injection will lose much strength/flavor, two: as noted much easier to add the flavor your looking for after pulled.

I/we like the pure pork flavor with some additional rub after pulled.

I've never done injecting either. I find it easier, for me, to add some cider vinegar, crushed red pepper flake (not much) and some of my favorite sauce (such as Bone Sucking or Dinosaur) and then letting it rest for a bit. I don't add much sauce as I prefer to let people sauce it themselves afterward.

I injected for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was the best butt Ive ever done. I dont know if that is because of the injecting or if I just nailed the cooking process on that butt. All I used was some beer and apple juice mix and some BBQ 3000 from Penseys.

Well, I injected the 2 butts with a modified, much less salt, version of Chris Lilly's injection. It was meant to be because I saw Chris on FoodTV this afternoon.

So, it's 7:45 pm, butts are on, we'll see how they turn out tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input.

Done the lilly inject myself. Maby just me but i dont find it to salty. I have seen "coca cola cherry" injected to a butt. Never tryed it but it might work.

I am in favor of injection, I think it add that added flavor as well as moisture to the meat. I use a basic injection of apple juice, apple cider vinegar, oil, and rub. They always turn out good.

Back