What method for ribs???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Watson

TVWBB Fan
Im curious as to what fire method people use for ribs. Since ribs take only 4-5 hrs of cooking time, I don't see using the Minion method. Which is the only method I have used to date. According to the cooking page on spare ribs, they said to put the lit coals on first then the unlit on top of them? Wouldn't that choke them out or create a lot of smoke?

Joe, I DO use the Minion Method for ribs and everything except poultry.

I am actually doing 5 1/2 slabs as we speak. Planning on it taking 5hrs. I just fill it 1/2 to 3/4 full of fuel instead of packing the fire ring full!

It works great....trust me and I'm sure I will get other supporters!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Watson:
According to the cooking page on spare ribs, they said to put the lit coals on first then the unlit on top of them? Wouldn't that choke them out or create a lot of smoke? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
All you're doing is using your lit chimney of coals to light another chimney-full, waiting for them to be ignited before you assemble the cooker. You could cut the time in half if you had two chimneys to fire up simultaneously.

Looks good Greg....what time is dinner?....
icon_smile.gif

I just need to get a rib rack and I'm all set.

Joe,

Rib racks are nice but I find it's sometimes a pain to rotate them while they are in the rack. I have one and I still use the method of rolling them up. Here is a pic showing how Chris shows it here on his site. I do the same except that I prefer to use butchers twine to tie them in a roll and then stand them up. I find I can get about 5 racks on each grate that way and they are easy to rotate...all you need it a good pair of heavy duty tongs and a meat fork or I sometimes just use a old hand towel (wet).

I sort of do the Minion Method with ribs but in a smaller scale. Probably 1/3 of unlit to 2/3 lit combo with a little extra smoke wood. I add hot coals when needed which isnt often. Works for me.
DP

Joe, Here is pictures from beginning to the end of the rib cook. I filled the ring 3/4 full and it was too much. Next time I will do half and see how that works. Doug had a good suggestion in regards to lighting 2 chimmneys at the same time if you have the equipment to do that. I still like to control my temps on the way up so time isn't a big issue for me during start-up!!

I mostly cook ribs and I always use MM and sand in the Weber pan. I fill up the ring and put some smoke wood in there, light about 15 briquets and throw them on top of the unlit. I reuse what doesn't burn on the next cook. I find it's best not to change too many things (like lighting the fire) and I've never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back