What kind of wood are the wooden handles made of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oak! At least that's what the box I got my brand new ones said on it. My personal opinion is that they still claimed to be using oak after they had switched to something lighter like pine. I have some old handles that are much heavier (oak) and some that that look the same, but are clearly much lighter. The really old ones were teak wood. Those are really pretty when they are cleaned up and laquered.

i found some trimmed oak at lowes that almost looks perfect for handles. just cut in half and trim up a bit and yer almost there. about $1.96 a piece and i think it will make 2 handles.

Originally posted by george curtis:
i found some trimmed oak at lowes that almost looks perfect for handles. just cut in half and trim up a bit and yer almost there. about $1.96 a piece and i think it will make 2 handles.

Are you talking about the nice oak boards? The finish type wood for projects?

Brian

Okay I know what your talking about, I'll head over there and see what I can find. They closed the Lowes by my house so I have to drive to the one way down the road. Maybe Home Depot has something similar.

Brian

i seem to remember reading that the oldest models used teak wood as the handles, and it changed woods once or twice before finally switching to the glass reinforced nylon.

Here are the handles we made at work. We drew them up and then cut themon the CNC machine. We made them out of zebra wood. We are going to make oak handles as well. I thenk they came out awesome. I was very happy witht he results. I think I'll have to swap all my handles. The first picture is the original handle on my Blue restoration project,

dsc05923f.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-14

dsc05930uy.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-14

Then the new handles installed on the lid.

dsc05936.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-14

dsc05937y.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-14

And of course the dynamic duo of Lucy and Phoebe need to access the situation.

dsc05939t.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-14

Here are the handles close up.

dsc05942mg.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-14

dsc05943g.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-14

The new ones are on the right.
icon_wink.gif

Brian

PS if anyone has an old style ash catcher with the notches I might have a set of handles to trade.

Excellent work, Brian. Those look great, and I bet they will look awesome on your restored grill.

I know everyone here loves the wood handles, and for older grills I like the wood look because it's classic. But I alwasy leaned a little more to the new look of the plastic. For my grills that weren't that old I kind of liked the upgraded look. I felt it kind of brought older grills up to modern standards. But after seeing these I might have to switch all my handles to back to wood. I guess I'll have to go get some more wood so we can cut more! I think if I switched all mine overI would need like 13 or 14 handles.

Brian

Hey Brian,
If you decide to market those, I would definitely be interested in a few sets.
I'm curious, does the machine do all the work and how long does it take to make a set?
Also, those old handles are not a lost cause, some scrubbing and light sanding and they will be servicable for sure. I have seen a lot worse!
Do you plan to stain and seal the zebra wood?
AJ

I will seal them with polyurethane, I don't want to stain them just because I love the look of the natural wood.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back