What kind of wire to connect the charcoal ring to the grate?

MichaelM

TVWBB Super Fan
Is my memory serving me well... Copper?

Don't want to using anything that will be toxic.

Curious about the life span of wire in such a high heat environment

I was also considering weaving between the charcoal grate rather than add another grate and take up extra head-room in the charcoal chamber.

I was also considering weaving between the charcoal grate rather than add another grate and take up extra head-room in the charcoal chamber.

I don't think the 0.25 inch you save is really going to matter much to you. : )

I'd recommend going big on this -- add the criss cross charcoal grate; bolt the two grates together with square u-bolts (handles) and washers; and wire the ring to the original grate. The 3-in-1 for the win! $15 bucks cost.

Only suggestion I'd make is to use shorter u-bolts -- so the tops of the handles stay below the top edge of the ring. Do that and you'll still be able to put a cooking grate directly onto the ring when in grill mode.

I don't think the 0.25 inch you save is really going to matter much to you. : )

I'd recommend going big on this -- add the criss cross charcoal grate; bolt the two grates together with square u-bolts (handles) and washers; and wire the ring to the original grate. The 3-in-1 for the win! $15 bucks cost.

Only suggestion I'd make is to use shorter u-bolts -- so the tops of the handles stay below the top edge of the ring. Do that and you'll still be able to put a cooking grate directly onto the ring when in grill mode.

You might be right...

I bought a 24x24 piece of expanded metal mesh for the coal grate and returned it. It was stupid expensive considering a second rack is what.. $8?

I used Rebar- tie wire, the plain steel not coated. Its held up since 09, and being a Carpenter I had a few rolls lying around.
As far as adding handles, U bolts etc, I'm all for doing any mod that suits you, but If you look at the WSM charcoal ring it already has holes.
Put some gloves on and pick it up, shake it, turn it over, dump out ashes, no need IMO to add anything.
Easy.

Tim

I used copper wire because it's what I had laying around. If it doesn't hold up, I'll put some of those stainless zip ties on.

The annealed tie wire works good, I had some laying around, It's 14 guage, it's held up so far, cheap in the mason supply in 1# rolls

Back