What kind of fan enclosure should I build?

Bob Walters

TVWBB Member
Several years ago I built a fan-only device to control my Char Griller Kamado cooker using an inexpensive Chinese PID Temperature Controller and a radial computer fan inside a 3D printed box of my own design. It works perfectly once the temperature is stabilized, but it tends to overshoot (both directions) when I first fire up the grill, especially when my target temperature is down around 225 degrees F.

I’m getting myself a Grilla Kong ceramic egg for Christmas and want to build a Heater Meter device. I’ve ordered the components to build a Heater Meter and don’t anticipate any difficulties with the electronic part of the project or the 3D printing.

What is not clear to me is which kind of fan/servo device to print. There are several types well documented here such as the Roto Damper, Micro Damper, Macro Damper, Adapt-a-Damper, Barrel style Damper, and others. Or I could simply design and print my own. I like the idea of a combination of a fan and servo controlled damper.

Has one of these designs been proven over time to be superior?

Is an axial fan, especially a small 40mm fan, sufficient for a 24” egg type ceramic grill?

I really don’t see the need to have the probes plug into the fan unit since my control unit usually sits on the grill wing table, so the nifty Heater meter Aux. Thermocouple And two probe board doesn’t seem necessary to me. But, of course, I could be wrong so I’m willing to listen to a sales pitch.

Comments?

Several years ago I built a fan-only device to control my Char Griller Kamado cooker using an inexpensive Chinese PID Temperature Controller and a radial computer fan inside a 3D printed box of my own design. It works perfectly once the temperature is stabilized, but it tends to overshoot (both directions) when I first fire up the grill, especially when my target temperature is down around 225 degrees F.

I’m getting myself a Grilla Kong ceramic egg for Christmas and want to build a Heater Meter device. I’ve ordered the components to build a Heater Meter and don’t anticipate any difficulties with the electronic part of the project or the 3D printing.

What is not clear to me is which kind of fan/servo device to print. There are several types well documented here such as the Roto Damper, Micro Damper, Macro Damper, Adapt-a-Damper, Barrel style Damper, and others. Or I could simply design and print my own. I like the idea of a combination of a fan and servo controlled damper.

Has one of these designs been proven over time to be superior?

Is an axial fan, especially a small 40mm fan, sufficient for a 24” egg type ceramic grill?

I really don’t see the need to have the probes plug into the fan unit since my control unit usually sits on the grill wing table, so the nifty Heater meter Aux. Thermocouple And two probe board doesn’t seem necessary to me. But, of course, I could be wrong so I’m willing to listen to a sales pitch.

Comments?

They all work.
What are you comfortable with?

I bought printed, assembled, tested, adapt a damper from wbegg.

For same price, or less, than i could have put one together for, and much faster. Buying parts in bulk, lowers his cost, especially for shipping of components. I recommend that route wholeheartedly. If your printing is free....you will save by printing your own.

Last edited:

Back