What is the best option for new 18" WSM cover?

Don Irish

TVWBB Pro
I am fed up with my cover, it is such a PITA to put on and off and is cracking badly on the bottom. What is the best alternative that will slide on and off easily, yet stay on in a storm? Options to me seem to be the cover for the 22.5" WSM, or one for a regular kettle. Any ideas?

I know what you mean, and Weber told me that they had reports of covers shrinking. They replaced one of mine for the WSM, and now that one is shrinking and hard to put on. I have used one for my 22.5 OTG on the WSM, and that did the trick. I stayed on during some pretty bad weather this winter. I would pick up one for the 22.5 WSM and give that a try.

I use a heavy duty contractors clean up bag - I think they are 30 gal, 3mil thick trash bags.

They fit over the WSM, are waterproof and throughout all of the wind, rain and storms we've had here lately, never a problem.

And they're cheap - like a box of 30 for say, 12 bucks at Lowes.

Pat

yup, i use heavy duty plastic yard bags for my kettles. if ya want to get fancy, have an auto upholstry shop make ya one. stuff for boats lasts a looooong time.

Gives me an idea George! I'm headed to the little lake cottage in Michigan in a couple of weeks. It's in the middle of a large Amish community and one of the Amish gentleman does upholstery - he made cover for the frame of the pontoon boat. Great product and very affordable!! I can take him the contractors clean up bag as a model!

I'll let y'all know how it goes!

Pat

I've got a Medium Big Green Egg vinyl cover that works very nicely on one of my WSM's! And a heavy duty vinyl cover that came with my WSM "N".

I cut the elastic off the bottoms of the other 2 covers.

I went to a store, Big Lots, and bought a $9.00 round universal cover. It isn't water proff but it goes on and off easy. It stay on in all weather! About the water proffing, just turn the middle section around and put the lid on the top like normal. Then cover. I guess you can make it water proff by using seam sealer like on a tent. I love my weber but I am not one to advertise it. I feel that way about all items buy.

Keep on Smoking
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I've been looking at this cover from Veranda. I've had 2 of the kettle version for a few years now, they have held up well.

I found that removing the elastic from the bottom of the stock Weber cover alleviates some of the tightness issues, but there is certainly no extra room in there...especially if you add handles.

Good Luck,
Kevin H.

what about using a large plastic trash can or a plastic 55 gallon barrel....i use a barrel i acquired from a local bakery to transport my wsm...

I just got the Veranda cover from Amazon, This is a fantastic product. It fits much better than Weber's cover, Goes on and slides off easily, is WATERPROOF, has protected breathins vents, will not stiffen and crack in cold weather, is very attractive (almost too good looking for bbq, if you know what I mean). I'm surprised no one else has caught on to this product. Personally, I think it is as necessary as a good thermometer as a must have accessary.

Originally posted by Gary McD:
I know what you mean, and Weber told me that they had reports of covers shrinking.
Yep they do. After 7 years my cover no longer will go on the WSM.
icon_frown.gif

On Amazon, the reviews of the Veranda cover say that it leaks.

My Weber WSM cover leaks, so I put on a 39 Gallon Trash Bag first.

If the Veranda Cover leaks, what's the use? Someone who has one, please comment.

the weber 22.5" premium cover does not leak. that is what i have been using to cover my 18.5" WSM for the last 4-5 months. it doesn't go all the way to the ground, but it keeps the water out of my WSM just fine and it hasn't blown off yet.

Originally posted by Tony C.:
the weber 22.5" premium cover does not leak. that is what i have been using to cover my 18.5" WSM for the last 4-5 months. it doesn't go all the way to the ground, but it keeps the water out of my WSM just fine and it hasn't blown off yet.

I've been using one of these for about 2 years. Works great, doesn't leak. It "shrunk" though after adding the Pro BBQ WSM expansion though
icon_frown.gif

Looking for something longer than stock so it reaches back to the ground. Veranda makes one that's 39" long, but now I'm concerned since folks say the one on Amazon leaks.

Originally posted by r benash:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:

I've been using one of these for about 2 years. Works great, doesn't leak. It "shrunk" though after adding the Pro BBQ WSM expansion though
icon_frown.gif

Looking for something longer than stock so it reaches back to the ground. Veranda makes one that's 39" long, but now I'm concerned since folks say the one on Amazon leaks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought about putting a large trash bag over the bottom section of the 18" WSM and then setting the Pro Q section(s) in place with the lid on top and putting the 18" WSM cover over that section. Entire smoker should be covered in good shape.

Well, as an update. It does leak if left on in sustained/heavy rains. I just started storing my WSM and Performer outdoors this summer.

Somewhere else someone posted about taking the mid section, turning it upside down (you can still place the pan and grates inside). This place the lid edge outside the top edge of the mid section and eliminates water dripping inside the unit.

Works great!!

I aint got time to put the WSM cover on between cooks, I think they only hold in humidity and therefore RUST.
I did go on holidays for two weeks and stored the wsm in the garage with its cover on, Dont know if that made a lick of difference.

I have a cover for my Kamado (WSM stored in garage) made out of Sunbrella Marine exterior material. It's awesome! Here's some info on the material: color fast, breathable, resistant to sun, mold, mildew, atmospheric chemicals, salt, rain, etc. and comes from the manufacturer with a 10 year warranty (excluding my labor). The best warranty in the industry. Sunbrella is the same material you see used in the marinas on 80% of the boats/sail covers. Seams are double sewn waterproof style, seam edges turned under and sewn. Heavy 18oz. 'Shelter-Rite' nylon reinforced vinyl (truck tarp) is sewn inside around the mid section (6" wide band), and inside the very top to protect from rubbing against top of hat(damper), hinge, etc.. There's also a matching sunbrella handle sewn flat into the top; comes in handy for handling the covers during install/removal and can also be used to hang the cover while not in use. You also have thread color choice; matching color, black, white, or whatever color you want.

Don't know if the guy has ever done any covers for WSM's but I'd be happy to contact him and ask if anyone is interested.

Back