What is the Best Garlic Press?

Just today they sent a reprint of the article from Americas Test Kitchen regarding garlic presses. In answer to your question if "what's that black stuff?' I submit the following, copied directly from ATK's text. Hope this helps!!

<<As a side note, we also noticed that on many of the garlic presses we use in the test kitchen, the nonstick coating had peeled off each one in the test kitchen, particularly around the hopper; a tiny amount of black liquid was sometimes extruded along with the garlic. After some digging, we discovered that when the nonstick coating peels off, copper and iron in the aluminum base metal react with the air and sulfur compounds in the garlic to create oxides and sulfides, which we sometimes see as a black substance on our extruded garlic. It’s similar to the discoloration from an old-fashioned carbon steel knife, and while it’s not toxic, it's not very appealing. We downgraded those models.>>

As a result of The American Test Kitchen's tests, I bought the Kuhn Rukon Easy Squeeze and have been extremely pleased with the way it works and how easy it is to clean up. You don't even have to peel the garlic cloves. Just drop them in a squeeze. Cook's also found out that there is a difference in the taste of garlic from different presses (and yes, some turned the garlic black and had an off taste).

This is a less expensive version of the high end one (excellent but pricy):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CD0G8/?tag=TVWB-20

I got the green one as it was cheaper. The up side was that it is easier to find in a drawer than a black one;).

FWIW
Dale53

Back