what is the appeal of the performer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun H

TVWBB Fan
please excuse the noob question...

Seems pretty expensive. What is the big deal? What makes it better than just getting a regular kettle?

I just bought a Performer after grilling on a OTS for 12 years. I too balked at the price when it first came out. I needed a new kettle, wanted a OTG as a minimum. I looked at the OTP with it's two side shelves, and looked at the Performer. I decided on the Performer because I like having the large table area, love the gas ignition, and the charcoal bin is nice too. Is it worth $329? It is to me.

I like all the convenience in using the performer. You can store everything you need right with the unit. The charcoal, chimney starter, fuel to start, and cooking utensils. All you need to do is bring the meat from the kitchen. If I were to use my old OTG I would have to haul all the stuff I mentioned above to get the grill going.

Mike

In addition to everything that has already been said, the Performer's cooking surface is a few inches higher, which makes a surprising difference for a man of even average height - I imagine this would be a VERY attractive feature for a taller cook.

Also, the Performer's cart offers far more stability than the regular kettle's three hollow legs - a critical consideration for anyone who expects to occasionally have young children around while cooking.

But it certainly is expensive. I found mine on Craigslist for a fraction of the retail price, and urge you to try to do the same.

Ditto all of the above. The Performer unit is so convenient because of its work station, charcoal holder, lid holder, chimney starter, tool holder and bottom rack for the rotisserie ring.

It also has the ash bucket which I prefer to the pan. I have an older Platinum which has some of the benefits but without the propane assist or the storage bin.

Dont really care for the gas assist nor the bin.(well i do) I roll with the old platinum. Same table,doesent look as good,same lid holder. Humm...I should get an Performer
icon_smile.gif

But i can tell ya that the food is just as good
icon_wink.gif

I bought a used 22.5 OTG and a Weber work table on CL, which is my poor man's version of the Performer.
icon_biggrin.gif
I guess the propane start would be nice, but it only takes a few seconds to light a Weber fire-start cube and place a filled chimney on top. I will say the new Performers do look sexy and I may eventually buy one if I find one for a killer deal.

I have four grills that I use on a regular basis. I have a performer, 2 22.5's built into a custom table, and a 26. My performer is my number one. The gas assist is really great. I do agree that I really like the higher work surface. They can be found pretty cheap and regularly on craigslist I would look there. I bought an absolute wreck performer, for $25 last week. With some work it could have been rebuilt back into a working unit. There has been at least three nice ones here in Chicago on Craigslist for $200 and under in the last week. They can be had for a reasonable price, I would highly recomend one.

Brian

Out of all my grills, my performer is the go-to grill for me. The starting convenience of the gas assist, lid holder, large table and most importantly, the taller height are what do it for me.

I'm a very tall guy (6'10") so the added height is greatly appreciated.

Not trying to be critical brother.....everyone has their on way of skinng a cat and those ribs do look fittin.
I have only had my performer for a short time since I got it and am smoking I just pile up my briqs over the propane and just and leave the burner on for about 5 minutes.A few coals are lit,just right for the minion method.That sure makes it easier for a old cogger like me,but if I were you I wouldnt change a thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glen jones:
I don't understand someone not useing the "gas assist".....that is numer one for me....no charcoal starter.Love my Performer !!!!
Lowes has them for under $300 now.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_131707...l%2Bgrill&facetInfo= </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The $279 model does NOT have the gas assist...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glen jones:
I don't understand someone not useing the "gas assist".....that is numer one for me....no charcoal starter.Love my Performer !!!!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_131707...l%2Bgrill&facetInfo= </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Uh, Glen... That's the new model of the Performer without gas assist.

Funny story - I was cooking at my son's place on his C&B Performer this afternoon. He's still using paper in his chimney because he didn't realize that there was propane assist available. He thought the spark igniter was to light match-light charcoal. He's smarter than me but neither one of us is too good about reading directions. He uses lump so I guess the end result is not compromised.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon Risko:

The $279 model does NOT have the gas assist... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well an't that a 'Howdy Doody"...I didn't know they made a Performer without a gas assist.I guess I really put my foot in my mouth with the above post about the gas assist.I was so happy with mine I assumed they all had it.
Thanks for pointing that out to an old idiot.

Well an't that a 'Howdy Doody"...I didn't know they made a Performer without a gas assist. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to worry Glen. It's a new model for 2012 (I think.) And FWIW, I thought I had a Performer without gas assist or storage bin until more knowledgeable folk them me pointed out that it looks an awful lot like an older Platinum.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon Risko:

The $279 model does NOT have the gas assist... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well an't that a 'Howdy Doody"...I didn't know they made a Performer without a gas assist.I guess I really put my foot in my mouth with the above post about the gas assist.I was so happy with mine I assumed they all had it.
Thanks for pointing that out to an old idiot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No worries, it is new this year.
icon_cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back