What is best configuration for 350 degrees?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for a couple weeks and just got my WSM going. So far, so good, but I am confused about how to set up the grates for the WSM to best maintain 350 degrees.

I have a great book called "The Barbecue Bible" which has a pretty good rib recipe (1.5-2hrs at 350) that I like to make when I'm short on cooking time.

What do you think the best configuration for maintaining 350 would be. Can I use it in the traditional smoker setup (charcoal grate at bottom below drip pan), or raise the charcoal grate up to the bottom ledge straps and treat it more like a kettle?

I tried the latter tonite, but had trouble keeping 350 at the lid. I raised the charcoal grate up to the bottom of the middle section I used chunks of hickory and 30-40 briquettes (over 2hrs) in the charcoal ring, but used the top cooking grate. I treated it like a kettle and just put a foil pan below the ribs and the coals off to the side. All vents were open.

The ribs turned out o.k. but I wasn't sure if I could get 350 using the smoker setup (which would have made it easier to add charcoal etc.).

You need to use more fuel and an empty water pan to achieve 350*F. Try following the Standard Method described on the Firing Up Your Weber Bullet page and you'll have no trouble hitting 350*F.

Regards,
Chris

I have used the 325-350 standard method, no water in the pan, over a dozen times now and have learned that I need AT LEAST one chimney (Weber chimney) full of coals to get the temps up that high. The only time I've had temp problems with that method was when I used less than a full chimney. If the cook is going to last 2 hours or more, I would use 1 1/2 to 2 chimneys of coals. For example, I've cooked several whole turkeys using that method and they take 3 to 3 1/4 hours to cook. A 10# bag of briquettes is perfect (still enough coals left over to burn off my grates) which equates to about 1 3/4 chimneys of briquettes.

I did a beer can chicken last Sunday at 350 with an empty pan. I used 1.5 chimneys of charcoal. Chicken came out great with a nice crispy skin.

The chicken was done in 2.25 hr. I then shut the vents on the WSM down. It maintained at least a 150 temp for 23 hrs. Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back