What is 3-2-1 ??

3 hours exposed, 2 hours foiled. 1 hour exposed.

IMO 2 hours foiled is too long.

I usually use a 4-1-1 or even a 5-1-1 for spares depending on temps, color, etc.

3 hrs without foil, 2 hours wrapped in foil and last hour without foil. I don't use it because 2 hours seems like a long time in foil, but maybe starting at the 3 hour point makes it work. I foil at around 4 hours for about 45 minutes and then finish to doneness outside of the foil.

Paul

cook:
3 hours no foil
2 hours in foil
1 hour no foil

My ribs usually go in foil for 45-60 minutes

Ok all at once now...

Here's a LINK to a detailed post from Stogie on the 3-2-1 method for ribs.
icon_wink.gif

Jay,

IMO you will have to experiment and find out which times you prefer. My personal opinion is unfoiled for 3 1/2 hours, foil for 1 hour, then unfoil for 1 1/2 hour.

Good luck,

Ray

Ok I imagine this is for SPARE ribs and not baby back ribs.

If you are smoking BBRibs what do you all feel is a good combination?

I pretty much gave up doing spare ribs a long time ago and pretty much only do baby backs now. How many of you feel the 3-2-1 is still a good combination on BBRibs?

Hi Steve, I still fo 3-2-1 with back ribs, 2 to 2.5 pound racks. I find it works for me but I think you will find that most on here would consider it overdone.

Clark

Smoke - Foil - Unfoiled.

A lot of the foiling time depends on your cooker temp. Hotter temps less foil time and les overall time in the cooker.

I try to do my BBs at 230 - 235 degrees lid temp. Usually for me its 2 hours in the smoke, about 45 minutes in the foil and about 45 to an hour th firm up. You have to watch the firm up time. Sometimes it can be too long and over cook.

How tightly are you guys wrapping your ribs in foil? The last time I did a 3-1-1 method, I wrapped the ribs fairly tight with foil after basting and didn't really notice a big difference. Maybe I should go to more of a 3-2-1 method or loosen the foil up a bit...

Thanks,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve CT:
Ok I imagine this is for SPARE ribs and not baby back ribs.

If you are smoking BBRibs what do you all feel is a good combination?

I pretty much gave up doing spare ribs a long time ago and pretty much only do baby backs now. How many of you feel the 3-2-1 is still a good combination on BBRibs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, do not give up on Spares, just work on them a bit. I have been eating the heck out of them. I actually have better luck with them than BBRs most of the time!

Back