What have you learned? The TVWBB Knowledge Archive *****

I've also learned that most "everyday" people really dont want to hear about your awesome cook, and dont get very excited if you show them pictures. In fact they might think your a little strange..? Take it as you will
icon_wink.gif

Jokes aside, I've learned that I have a lot to learn, there are many cooks on this forum who have expanded their horizons to the point of bordering on being chefs, or are chefs. I am glad that I am still pretty young and have time to continue to learn more about not just BBQ, but cooking in general. Inspiration due to TVWBB and its members. Thanks Chris, you've done an immeasurable amount of good for an immeasurable amount of people.
icon_cool.gif

Brandon

1) Buying a WSM adds 15 lbs to your body weight (think freshman 15 back in college).

But seriously though - Using lump as a fuel source, what a difference in overall taste (and smell too!).

Had it not been for TVWBB I probably would have picked a sub-par smoker, been unhappy with the results, became frustrated, and gotten out of Q all together. Thanks to this site I've brought myself into a new hobby/pastime, and turned out some awesome grub in the process.

I'll never forget the time one of my coworkers told me "You know, I don't really like BBQ, but whatever you did differently - it's amazingly good. This should be on a restaurant menu." Seeing and hearing people get enjoyment out of food you've cooked brings much gratification.

I learned that if you are going to pass on information you need to think through the process, in the long run it makes you a better cook.

Jim

For learning how to use the cooker itself, the MM method has been, hands down, the most impactful technique in my repertoire. As for the food..... lot's of tips and still learning, but mostly the attitude to give something a try.

Originally posted by Mitch Josey:

Had it not been for TVWBB I probably would have picked a sub-par smoker, been unhappy with the results, became frustrated, and gotten out of Q all together. Thanks to this site I've brought myself into a new hobby/pastime, and turned out some awesome grub in the process.

QUOTE]

Well said!

Gary

TWBB made me a better chief -
That 'performer" is not a dirty word on the TWBB

most importantly:

The quality of the ingredients directly effect the outcome of the meal.
100 posts make you a fan !

1) Buying a WSM adds 15 lbs to your body weight (think freshman 15 back in college).

good one. something you don't think much about when you purchase your first smoker. should I spend $50 on a ECB or $200 for a WSM plus $200 to replace all your pants with the next waist size?

Despite actually having to replace most of my pants, I still think I made the right decision.

Originally posted by j biesinger:

good one. something you don't think much about when you purchase your first smoker. should I spend $50 on a ECB or $200 for a WSM plus $200 to replace all your pants with the next waist size?

Despite actually having to replace most of my pants, I still think I made the right decision.

Hahhahahah! I concur on making the right decision as well. I'm still sucking in the belly to fit in my old stuff, but I'm also only 7 months into my WSM ownership.
icon_wink.gif

Although the recent addition of a Performer should expedite the new pant buying process.

Keeping a log of the cooking experience. This is especially helpful when you are cooking something for the first time on a WSM. It has helped me a lot and keeps me from 'fiddlin' with the vents.

The two most useful things I learned by far are

Minion Method
- I was growing tired of fighting to get the temp down using the standard method, catching it on the way up was a godsend.

Lump Charcoal
- Total convert now, the taste cannot be beat (although willing to try the new Kingsford as well as the coconut)

I know I read this here somewhere, just cant remember where. I've been doing it for so long I almost forgot it was a tip.

Seperate most of your bark while pulling pork butts, sit it aside on your cutting board. When all of the pork is nicely pulled, chop all the large chunks of bark up and reincorperate it into the pulled pork. This makes sure you get some bark in every bite.

I guess the best thing I can offer is, BE PATIENT!

When I first started, I pulled too many butts off the WSM because *we* were ready to eat, and found *they* weren't ready to be eaten!

Once the meat is positively, fer sure, without a doubt, 100% done through and through, you can still take at least an hour and let it rest in foil, inside the WSM with all 4 vents closed. It'll be steaming when you open the foil to pull it.

That's plenty of time to prepare your sides, etc.

Too many "wrinkles" too list.
butt one particular stands out:
Liz enjoys my cookin' now more than ever. And that in itself speaks volumes for what I've learned from <span class="ev_code_GREY">EVERYONE</span> here.

My BBQ is as good if not better than "Q" at at most Resturants.
Also this is great forum to be a member of.

1 year ago i thought i was "the king of the grill". Today my food is so mutch better and i se myself as an "ordinary backyard cook"

Can only Give A shout out to all the Great members on this site,and the info/inspiration you all have been giving!

Where would I start....my family has no cooking traditions...my mom hated to cook...as a kid we started charcoal with gasoline......whoosh as she flamed on. . . .

Needless to say, I've had to learn everything..and almost all Q related from this site. I appreciate all you regular posters and still can't fathom the knowledge of the people on this site. It is awesome and i always come here first when looking for something to grill or smoke.

Cheers all and have a great holiday season!!!!

Dave

Don’t complicate the process; keep it as simple as possible while at the same time cook to your taste and strong suits.

Everyone has a different idea and a different method for just about every food out there. This site is invaluable because you can ask people’s opinion, hear 10+ different GREAT ideas, and use a little bit of what fits you best.

Without the knowledge from the people on this site, I would be spending double the time prepping, changing 5 things at once on a recipe, and not be taking logs and notes to report back with. This of course would get me nowhere on improving my food. Also, would not have got 1st place on my chicken at my first comp without doing above.

Thank you Chris for this website!

I forgot something. Because of this site I have realized that you can never have too many grills and the explanation to your wife that there are hundreds of people on a forum on the internet that also have many grills does not have much weight.

Back