What happens to $2600 Summits in South Florida

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Here's another sad Summit story. $2600 to curb pickup in less than ten years:

SyF6XIf.jpg

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/app/d/pompano-beach-free-bbq/7040843756.html

If it weren't so far from me I would want it for the grates, smoker box, thermometer and maybe the knobs - most of the rest scrap metal. Someone paying that much money can certainly expect more...

Last edited:
Well, there are some people...

No, I did mean the salt air and humidity. I have described our "ocean breeze" as something similar to a large fan blowing steadily while one person sprays water in front of it and another tosses fine salt - all to be blown against whatever stands in its path.

The only grills that can survive a good long life are those that are stored inside or those made almost entirely of 304 (better yet 316) stainless OR something like the Weber Q with its aluminum and plastic construction.

Here's what happened to the screws on a Weber Q300 I picked up:

LFSU5vN.png

4i4zL82.jpg

3u9sgud.jpg

Couldn't they have sprung for another dollar or two and used stainless? I wound up replacing them - not an easy job - with stainless screws.

Last edited:
Hard to believe that Weber would put regular steel on a grill like that. I can see skimping on a Genesis Gold SS grill or something like that, but not on a $2600 luxury grill.

I agree, it would be worth driving by and either cannibalizing or taking the whole thing and cannibalizing it at home. You would easily have a scrapper come by for all that left over Stainless steel.

Is a shame really.
I recall few years ago my local dealer was selling the cart for big green egg. It was about $1500 for the cart alone, i said expensive, he said is “marine plastic” now i understand why.

What happens to people's cars? Does everyone with a car down there have a rust bucket worthy of those of us who live in the arctic up here?

Actually, cars seem to fare pretty well. I don’t live on the beach, and I would guess that that close would be a problem. The biggest downers with cars are faded/cracked interiors and oxidized paint.

Cheap grills, though, seem to just dissolve. I think car makers have come a long ways in rust prevention compared to years ago. For grills in this climate any regular steel better be high grade and well painted. Unfortunately, most grills are made of poor quality imported steel and not well protected. High grade stainless is really the only long term viable solution.

The car issue from having to drive on Salt covered roads up here. Even without driving our grills on the roads up here, they do seem to rust out up here worse than many other places.

Back