What exactly DOES make the WSM better than a modified kettle?

If you are only going to smoke once or twice a year, I think a jerry rigged 26 is a good option. Which you could do with a stacker or, simpler, using an sns.

Won’t be as good as a dedicated wsm, but as noted above, can be a decent smoker in a pinch.

Sorry Jim, but part of my point was that I do not want a WSM that I know I may pony use once or twice a year. You can call it jerry-rigged if you want. I prefer enhanced. My 26er is still a kettle, even when it has a Cajun Bandit roto ring on it.

Not sure about rigging a WSM to be a grill. I guess it's possible, but I'll be d@mned if my knees or my back could handle cooking burgers at 10 inches off the ground . . .

BD
Here is how Phil did it and it stands at its regular height.

This is a little off topic but on impulse I checked out FB marketplace earlier this week which I do from time to time and the very first post that popped up was an 18" WSM being sold for $50! Great deal, right? And the photo looked good! It was garage kept. The grates were horribly rusted, but other than that, it looked real good. I don't have a WSM because I already have a drum smoker which I love - the Oklahoma Joe Bronco. But I know a buddy who is still using an small, old, cheap water smoker and I bet he'd love it. So I didn't want to waste time. It had only been listed on the site for four hours and the guy lived three miles from me! So I messaged him and within the hour I had it at my house.

So I messaged my buddy to come get it. I thought he'd be all happy. This was on Tuesday. Here it is Saturday and he still hasn't come over for it - and I am sensing a lack of enthusiasm. He is a great cook and does a great job with his little water bullet smoker, so maybe he just doesn't want the upgrade? I don't know. So should I keep it myself? Or give it to somebody else? I do have a couple other friends who I think would like it. It is apparently a 2013, based on the code on the damper. I know the WSM is highly rated and people rave about it. I have never cooked on one, though.

This is a little off topic but on impulse I checked out FB marketplace earlier this week which I do from time to time and the very first post that popped up was an 18" WSM being sold for $50! Great deal, right? And the photo looked good! It was garage kept. The grates were horribly rusted, but other than that, it looked real good. I don't have a WSM because I already have a drum smoker which I love - the Oklahoma Joe Bronco. But I know a buddy who is still using an small, old, cheap water smoker and I bet he'd love it. So I didn't want to waste time. It had only been listed on the site for four hours and the guy lived three miles from me! So I messaged him and within the hour I had it at my house.

So I messaged my buddy to come get it. I thought he'd be all happy. This was on Tuesday. Here it is Saturday and he still hasn't come over for it - and I am sensing a lack of enthusiasm. He is a great cook and does a great job with his little water bullet smoker, so maybe he just doesn't want the upgrade? I don't know. So should I keep it myself? Or give it to somebody else? I do have a couple other friends who I think would like it. It is apparently a 2013, based on the code on the damper. I know the WSM is highly rated and people rave about it. I have never cooked on one, though.
You have to try it out. I once picked one up for $20 just to flip. I really had no real desire to have one, but I figured it would be fun to at least try it before flipping it. I had it for over 2 years as it so easy to use and keep temps. Then I flipped it. You don't have to keep it but don't you want to try it;-)?

Yeah but I would have to put some money and/or time into it. New cook grates and a cover and I'm already approaching $120 (50+24+24+13). But it looks GOOD in the back with the other cookers. Wife didn't even notice it haha. Plus it would be easier to take on vacations and stuff. Weight is only $40 and comes apart compared to the drum which is 140 lbs and doesn't come apart. See - I'm already trying to justify keeping it, 😆

Here is how Phil did it and it stands at its regular height.

I hadn't thought of doing that for the grill option, which is d@mn embarrassing because I did basically the same thing so that I could add a shelf to cook more ribs. I didn't think of popping the pin out of those clips like he did, I just used some of these:

1685212468669.png

BD

Yeah but I would have to put some money and/or time into it. New cook grates and a cover and I'm already approaching $120 (50+24+24+13). But it looks GOOD in the back with the other cookers. Wife didn't even notice it haha. Plus it would be easier to take on vacations and stuff. Weight is only $40 and comes apart compared to the drum which is 140 lbs and doesn't come apart. See - I'm already trying to justify keeping it, 😆
Are you sure that the grates are not salvageable? A wire cup / wheel on a grinder can do amazing things. Especially just to try or flip.

Actually, after my last post, I did take a drill attachment wire brush to the top grate and it came out pretty good! I would cook on it. The grate does have plenty of pits in it, but it's useable. The other cook grate will come out the same. Meanwhile, my buddy got back to me and he says he wants it! He's just been busy, he says.

Actually, after my last post, I did take a drill attachment wire brush to the top grate and it came out pretty good! I would cook on it. The grate does have plenty of pits in it, but it's useable. The other cook grate will come out the same. Meanwhile, my buddy got back to me and he says he wants it! He's just been busy, he says.
That is great. I think you should try it out at least once since you have it and put some work into it;-)

I just recently found a similar deal for a slightly rusty WSM-18. After some cleaning effort the grills didnt respond the way I'd hoped for, so I purchased a new set of replacement grills for $49. Even then you've only dropped $100 for a sweet little smoker.
Yes an 18 with new grates at $100 is fantastic. You should be able to flip that for double it's you wanted. But I would have some fun with it first. You may really like it as I did.

Yes an 18 with new grates at $100 is fantastic. You should be able to flip that for double it's you wanted. But I would have some fun with it first. You may really like it as I did.
Indeed. I bought it as a secondary cooker for larger events, starting this 4th of July where I gotta cook probably 6 racks of ribs and 2 tritip. Later down the road I may decide to flip it when I upgrade to a WSK :).

Back