What do you use to manage your Recipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary, here is the MasterCook help group. You'll have to join, but it's free. These folks are great and are sure to sort out your problem. Be sure to tell them that you have Version 9 and that you're running XP, not Vista (which has its own set of problems, but they have already found a work-around).

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MastercookDiscussion/

[Added later:]
Gary, did you by any chance download MC9? If so, you might think about trying to get your money back because the download version is flawed. Here's what I found on the above website:

"You didn't actually buy your downloaded program from ValuSoft. The download version was sold by TryMedia, so you'll have to go to them to ask. I haven't seen the download being offered lately, so it's possible their license to distribute has expired.

You should also be aware that the download version was seriously flawed, and many functions, including the web import bar, wouldn't work at all. You might be better off purchasing MasterCook on CD. That way, you'll have a fully functional program and, should anything happen with your new setup, you'll be able to reinstall without a problem. The CD version is sold on ValuSoft's website <http://valusoft.com/products/mastercook.html > at other online retailers, and at computer superstores. The About Us link on ValuSoft's website lists stores where you might find the program locally."

Do ask any questions you have on the MasterCookDisussion website. You'll get a speedy answer.

Rita

Hi Rita,

I gave the program a fair shake, but experienced many corrupt files. Don't know if it has something to do with my system, a bad cd, or both, but support sent me a return authorization. In the mean time I am playing with the trial version of the Living Cookbook. I don't know if the software is as efficient as MasterCook, but so far at least all is working.

I appreciate your help!

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n... too many choices!
Gary

Gary, I'm glad you're exchanging the CD. I hope the new one will work for you. MasterCook is a very sophisticated program and will do more than any other. Be aware that on their comparison page, MasterCook will indeed do most things that Living claims it will not.

Don't forget the help site I mentioned. They also have suggestions for a good install.

Rita

Rita

Rita,

Is that "MasterCook" forum on Yahoo that you linked above the one that was created when Valuesoft discontinued their forum?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Yes, Bill it is the unofficial official MasterCook help site and the same people are still giving the help (all volunteer, by the way). ValuSoft support often forwards questions to them. They're great, and have already discovered a work-around to make MC work with Vista.

They were using the original Sierra forums for a long while after Sierra sold the program to ??, who sold it to ValuSoft. Sierra finally quit supporting it, although to their credit, supported it for longer than I would have expected.

Rita

Ahhhh, yes ~ Sierra. I ran across a website this morning that still links to Valuesoft's site and I thought I'd send them the updated link. Thanks again.
icon_smile.gif

Bill

I've been using Mastercook since it first came out, I guess, and I'm on version 9 now. I absolutely love it. I've tried a few others, but I guess I'm spoiled. It does everything I want it to do and more. All total I probably have two gig' worth of electronic cookbooks in MC, all duly backed up just in case.

Keri C

Hi jbaker. I'm new to this forum, but I saw your post. I actually just found a great free download for the Mac. Try a goggle search for Mac+Recipe+Organizer. It's the first listing on my computer and is called Yum 2.1.4. Again it's free and really nice.

One "WSM dedicated" red 3" notebook with dividers labeled BEEF, another-- PORK, another--POULTRY, another-- SEAFOOD, and one OTHER(for rubs, etc). It mostly contains recipes printed from this site with a few taken out of magazines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back