What do you think is the best BBQ/Smoking book?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got lots of BBQ books, but my favorite is one called Pit, Pot, and Skillet, by Red Caldwell. I don't believe it is in print any longer, since Red ain't got no fancy Food Network show, but it is a great book if you can find one.

I understand Red still has a few copies. I've got an e-mail address for him if anyone is interested.

My favorite, is a grilling book, How To Grill, by Raichlen.

His rub, sauces, and glaze are top shelf. His guidence helped get me started smoking on a gas grill. If I am looking for a recipe...I can depend on his.

For Recipes and techniques:

- Smoke and Spice
- Paul Kirk's rub's and sauces book (I don't have his new one. Anyone have it here?)

For History and just good reading:

- Smokestack LIghtning (out of print, but you can find it used)
- Legends of Texas BBQ

Compared to most on this forum, I'm a real newbie. But, I bought a few books and read a lot before my first smoke (and buying the WSM of which I think is just fantabulous!). "Smoke and Spice" is my favorite.

My three Favorite "go to" books are.
Paul Kirk's Rub and Sauce Book
Kirk's Championship BBQ
Cook's Illustrated Barbecue Book

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Constable:
Kirkland......what a dummy, I meant Kirk!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Michael, you can go back and edit your posts by selecting the little pencil eraser icon (only available on your own posts). Then nobody would know your a dummy. I mean that you made a mistake.
icon_wink.gif

Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ is a great resource and reference.

Reichlen's books are great.

KCBS has a cookbook I found very informative.

Dotty Griffith's Celebrating Barbecue.

I just take them out of the library here. There are literally dozens available.

How to Grill. Raichlen really knows how to cook. Where appropriate, he gives smoking instructions that are accurate. So far, everything has been a winner here at home. As time goes on, I find Smoke and Spice less interesting. I think its kind of uneven, with a few killers and some that just fall flat. (like the Thunder Thighs.)

I use Paul Kirk's sauce book all the time. So many different things to try and modify. Of course, some recipes are better than others, but at least he gives instruction on how things go together, encouraging the reader to create things on their own....

I'll throw my support to Raichlen's books, for sure, and also Legends of Texas BBQ as a really fun read, as is "Maynard, Adventures of a Bacon Curer"--a UK book that our forum friend Lee-Rowland turned me on to. It's fantastic and a really quick read. Only downside is that now I want to build a smokehouse...! (Actually, my friend in Haymarket, where my other WSM lives) has a smokehouse on her farm, but she doesn't know how to use it. Next time I'm up I'll take a look. RIght now it's being used as a toolshed/home to unwelcome groundhogs. Wow, wouldn't it be something to get it going, tho! If the bears didn't come get the food, that is.

Steve,
What I like about CI is their non traditional approach to BBQ. You also get Asian, Carribean, and Mediterranian flavors that you usually don't find in other books

I second the motion for Smoke and Spice. Haven't tried Kirks sauce book, may have to give it a looksy.
While your smoking you may as well read Alaskan Bootleggers Bible so you have something to drink when your done.

Ok. I'll add my two cents. I've got the Smoke & Spice book and two of Raichlen's books but my favorite book is Smokey Hale's "The Great American Barbecue and Grilling Manual". Why? Beacause he's opinionated, cantankerous (at times), and thoroughly entertaining. He pulls no punches. For example: he hates water smokers but acknowledges that vertical smokers are the most efficient. He claims that Brisket (as Barbecue) is a cruel joke played on the rest of the country by Texans. His reasoning is that for the same price you can get a much more tender cut of Beef.
icon_smile.gif
Cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back