What do you get when you marry a kettle and WSM14?

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
Apparently this really cool setup. I just saw this on the WSM Mods and grilling FB group by Jason Storey. Quite versatile if you consider all the possibilities with this.

1645454939185.png1645455031916.png

What’s up with the water heater smoker next to it?
Apparently that is a hanging smoker made out of a 100lb propane tank.

This is What Jason wrote about the WSM setup:
I used the middle and bottom sections of a 14 WSM and a 22 kettle with the bottom cut out. I found the kettle in a trash pile driving down the road one day. It had no legs, no lid and the bottom was rusted out so I cut it out to just fit inside the top of the WSM. It seals up perfectly.
It allows me to run the top 14 WSM grate, an 18 grate where the stock 22 kettle charcoal grate would normally go and a 22 grate on the top.
It works really well because I can add fuel through the WSM door and not open the kettle and disturb the cook. It also works really well as a stick burner. I just remove the door and feed a split in about once an hour.
On this cook I used the Signals and Billows temp controller to monitor and maintain temp. I set it at 250 and it maintained 241 average temp over 17 hours, while I ran errands all day away from home and was still able to monitor the cook on my phone.

I Think this is an excellent idea actually and the next time I see a free old kettle I may Frankin Grill my WSM18. I kind of see endless possibilities.

Apparently This must be a thing as here is another.
1645467194424.png

Back