What Do You Do With Your Spares Trimmings?

Yeah, I gotta second the curry option. I went out and bought a cookbook on Indian cuisine a few years back when I was finally educated as to how good it really was. Prior to about 4 years ago, I honestly couldn't even describe Indian food. I figured it had to all be oddly prepared, over spiced monkey brains and all the other stuff from Indian Jones that I saw as a kid. No joke. But I love the stuff now.

Tom,

I learned to enjoy Indian food when I lived in Japan, they had several authentic restaurants and one had a glass enclosure where you could watch the chef make nan and tandori in the deep clay oven.

These trimmings are good as curry typically will cook for a long time, and it softens it up nicely.

I am learning things to do with the trimmings by just giving them to my wife, and seeing what she does with them. This time curry appeared the next day...
icon_smile.gif

One thing I am learning is that while I love my WSM, I don't want every meal to be cooked in it, because then it starts getting tiresome, more for my family than me, possibly. But even speaking for myself I like to grill on the kettle to break up the smoke, and I enjoy a nicely grilled piece of meat. I could easily cook with fire every night, switching between the kettle and the WSM, or using the WSM as a grill, but what's the point in that when I have a kettle?

In this context, it's nice to let my wife do something different with the trimmings from the spares, and it gives her something to think about doing with them, she's more creative in the kitchen than I am...I can almost only cook with fire...
icon_wink.gif

If I remember what the original question was, "What to do with the trimmings from spares?" I don't trim spares. The flap meat and all that other MEAT that is cut off spares taste just like "Spare ribs". It cooks in the same amount of time, is just as tender and flavorful. So, why cut it off and wonder what to do with it? Cook it and eat it with all the rest of the Spare rib. No fuss, no mess, no problem, just cook it and eat it.

My spare rib trimmings have become the secret ingredient in my spaghetti sauce. I cut them into 4-5 inch pieces and brown them up. I add a chopped onion and garlic. Throw in a couple cans of crushed tomatoes and simmer for a few hours. Add some white wine and Italian spices (basil, oregano, fennel, etc.). You just have to go through and pick out any pieces of bone or cartilage that might be floating around. That part's a pain, but it's SOOOO worth it. My 6 year old says it's the best sauce he ever tasted. Such a connoisseur!

Joanne

Joanne, just trim the meat before you store it. It takes a few more minutes, but is well worth it when you want to cook something with it later.

I usually trim 3 slabs at a time, when I cook spares. The trimmings get vac-sealed and saved after trimming and dicing. Into the freezer for easy application later. I usually try to get about two- two pound bags.

Tom, where were you when I needed you on Friday night!?!? I was trimming up 4 racks of ribs for the "Rib-off" on Saturday. The trimmings are already frozen...why didn't I think of that?!?! Cut out the bad parts ahead of time..DUH!!! I guess I'll thaw and trim next time and give it a shot!

Thanks,

Joanne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan D:
I give them to my wife and she makes a Japanese style dish called Ton-Kotsu, it's from the southern area of Japan, my Father-In-Law's family is in Kagoshima, the area this style comes from.

It is a stew, kinda, which is cooked in a miso sauce, with daikon chunks, and a couple other things.

I just trimmed up 4 slabs and putting all the trimmings in a zip-loc for her to use in a couple days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most excellent soup idea, but IIRC, Tonkatsu is basically something of a national Japanese dish nowadays. I've had the meat breaded w/ panko crumbs and then deep fried. Not too much different than chicken fried steak, and equally as tasty. The stuff I had was served with a bowl of miso soup, steamed vegetables glazed with mirin, and plain sticky white rice. To dip the pork in, they had a dressing of fresh ginger and carrot, both very finely grated. Had a bit of vinegar or mebbe ponzu sauce in there too. Deeelish.

Back