What Do You Do With Your Spares Trimmings?

Kyle W.

TVWBB Member
So you go to the store and buy a few nice looking sparerib racks. After trimming the racks St. Louis style, you're left with quite a bit of perfectly good meat.

The obvious thing is to throw these scraps on the smoker along with the ribs, but creative things do you all do with these bits of goodness?

Thanks,
Kyle

Throw them on as treats for the chef, put some in beans, use them as treats for the chef, use for ABTs,use them as treats for the chef.

Grind them, herb and spice them and turn them into fresh sausage. Save a few trimmings for treats for the chef and the chef's wife...

I make sausage too. I've tried penzey's breakfast sausage blend, its pretty good, if you dont feel like finding a recipe.

when the pork is ground and mixed you can divide it up into 1 lb logs, wrap in plastic in a log, freeze, and saw into pucks for later frying.

I give them to my wife and she makes a Japanese style dish called Ton-Kotsu, it's from the southern area of Japan, my Father-In-Law's family is in Kagoshima, the area this style comes from.

It is a stew, kinda, which is cooked in a miso sauce, with daikon chunks, and a couple other things.

I just trimmed up 4 slabs and putting all the trimmings in a zip-loc for her to use in a couple days.

Thanks for the inspiration guys!

I like the beans idea, if there's any left after snacking!
icon_smile.gif

I thought about saving them for sausage, but I was too lazy to cut out the bone and cartilage.

Alan, I love japanese food. I'll have to look into Ton Kotsu!

-Kyle

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle W.:
Alan, I love japanese food. I'll have to look into Ton Kotsu! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kyle,

Sure, if you can find something on it, you'll love it. Don't confuse this with Ton Katsu, unless you have a deep fryer...
icon_razz.gif

The way the dish is cooked in japan is that they cut the sparerib across the bones, so leaving a small section of bone with meat wrapped around it, if that makes sense. The butcher does that for you, and I have bought it in Kagoshima with our cousin.

Those are cooked in a miso type stew, and you can get miso at most Japanese and/or asian stores, but there's a bunch of other ingredients, most likely involving sake and/or soy sauce, and raw sugar in varying amounts...The diakon is sliced into thick slices and cooked as-is (like a hockey puck) with this...There is some other stuff, ginger most certainly but most people don't eat that...(I'll sometimes eat a piece and wake myself up quickly!
icon_wink.gif
).

This is not a 'que dish though, but I might be able to get my wife to type the recipe in english...(that will probably not happen quickly;-)

Oh, it uses white miso I think, but am not sure...it's a creamy color.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan D:
Kyle,

Sure, if you can find something on it, you'll love it. Don't confuse this with Ton Katsu, unless you have a deep fryer...
icon_razz.gif

The way the dish is cooked in japan is that they cut the sparerib across the bones, so leaving a small section of bone with meat wrapped around it, if that makes sense. The butcher does that for you, and I have bought it in Kagoshima with our cousin.

Those are cooked in a miso type stew, and you can get miso at most Japanese and/or asian stores, but there's a bunch of other ingredients, most likely involving sake and/or soy sauce, and raw sugar in varying amounts...The diakon is sliced into thick slices and cooked as-is (like a hockey puck) with this...There is some other stuff, ginger most certainly but most people don't eat that...(I'll sometimes eat a piece and wake myself up quickly!
icon_wink.gif
).

This is not a 'que dish though, but I might be able to get my wife to type the recipe in english...(that will probably not happen quickly;-)

Oh, it uses white miso I think, but am not sure...it's a creamy color. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alan,

At first I thought you were referring to Ton Katsu (which I love to make at home), but googled "Ton Kotsu" and found it was something much different! I'll have to do some more research, although I've used most of the ingredients you have listed. Sounds like a great winter dish!

Thanks again for sharing,
Kyle

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob H.:
I use them in BBQ pork fried rice.
Sometimes I use them in soup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fried rice! Didn't even consider that. Wonderful idea.

Soup sounds like a winner as well. I was wondering how well one of the little bone segments would do as a replacement for a ham hock.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rod culver:
Alan, I have to ask, what is diakon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rod, The spelling is wrong. It's spelled Daikon. Link for you.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle W.:
At first I thought you were referring to Ton Katsu (which I love to make at home), but googled "Ton Kotsu" and found it was something much different! I'll have to do some more research, although I've used most of the ingredients you have listed. Sounds like a great winter dish!

Thanks again for sharing,
Kyle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kyle,

I found a pic of it, in a bento my wife made. She does bentos in the states using these styro compartment boxes. It's the top right compartment, you can see the large hockey puck like slice of daikon, some soy beans, carrots cut into the shape of a flower, yam starch and/or gelitan (Japanese have a couple different types they use, Americans may or may not like it). I usually don't eat the yam starch (they call koniyaku sp??? ).

bento-07.jpg

It is good for winter! But my wife made some with the cut-offs from 4 slabs of spareribs, and it was gone in a couple days...my son loves it over rice...I barely got some.

I'm planning to give my wife the cut-offs from another 4 slabs next week that I'm doing in the WSM.
icon_biggrin.gif

Pull them for pulled rib sammies, or for mixing in for more complex flavor with pulled pork (mmm, more bark), and definitely BEANS. But then again, they usually are almost gone in the end anyway. Good ideas up thread as well. Should also be good in split pea soup, but haven't tried that yet, they just don't last that long.

If I am having people over I will cook the ribs first, then after the rib are done, I throw the trimmings from the ribs on the smoker and cook them for about 4-5 hours and serve them as Riblets, for later on in the evening. What ever is left over I will either make up a BBQ Hash with a couple of fried eggs on top or make a killer BBQ pork omlet w/ chedder cheese.

OOps, wanted to hit this thread with my last post. Add curry to the list of things to do with your trimmings.

My wife did an tasty curry tonight with the trimmings from last night's spareribs.

Back