What do you do with empty one pound propane tanks?

Glad to year it works well for you.

I feel compelled to again share the link that says this should not be done, and to share a reminder that these are never to be transported after refilling.

Interesting. But note the video referenced an accident in Everett, WA where a girl died while using a refilled 1lb tank. I don't think the accident was directly caused by refilling the 1lb tank. I googled the incident and the explanation was that they found the 20 lb tank was leaky, and not the refilled 1lb cylinders. She was also using the refilled 1lb tank to fuel a propane heater in a small enclosed space, and also ignored the propane odors. Furthermore, the shack had a deadbolt, so she was t able to escape quickly. It's sad, but basically a lot of things were wrong with the situation that led to the end of her life.

Glad to year it works well for you.

I feel compelled to again share the link that says this should not be done, and to share a reminder that these are never to be transported after refilling.

I certainly get how refilling these cylinders is problematic.

I believe it’s ok in my circumstance since I reinstalled the cylinder right after refilling, and the grill lives outdoors.

I never thought it was possible to refill these cylinders, but appreciate the cost savings and environmental impact of not buying these from the store.

Fwiw

Used to be able to buy a 4 pack of Worthington 1#'ers for 13 bucks at Menards or Farm & Fleet.
Now all you see is singles for close to 6 bucks.

I certainly get how refilling these cylinders is problematic.

I believe it’s ok in my circumstance since I reinstalled the cylinder right after refilling, and the grill lives outdoors.

I never thought it was possible to refill these cylinders, but appreciate the cost savings and environmental impact of not buying these from the store.

Fwiw
I was only linking it for awareness. I presume anyone attempting a refill has reviewed the risks and rewards.

Used to be able to buy a 4 pack of Worthington 1#'ers for 13 bucks at Menards or Farm & Fleet.
Now all you see is singles for close to 6 bucks.

I have one that has a $1.99 price tag on it.

Last spring I found a brand new 4 pack buried in the back of the garage. maybe I can trade the propane four pack for a dozen eggs ;)

I was only linking it for awareness. I presume anyone attempting a refill has reviewed the risks and rewards.
I watched the linked video, and think I now have to ask Chris to delete my tvwbb account since I have openly posted about violating Federal law.

Thanks a lot Dan…lol

I watched the linked video, and think I now have to ask Chris to delete my tvwbb account since I have openly posted about violating Federal law.

Thanks a lot Dan…lol
I don't' think carrying the tank from the shed to the summit is considered "transporting" :D

I have a ‘friend’ who refills them. It works well, but I get why not to do it. My Performer - I mean my friend’s- has the gas assist, but I don’t like how it warps the charcoal grate, so I told him he should stop using it and just use PTO’s (paper towels with oil) from now on. They work better anyways, and are super cheap, as I just recycle used towels and old vegetable oil.

Attachments

• 291557AB-C017-4568-A7DD-F6D3A2A086C8.jpeg
    291557AB-C017-4568-A7DD-F6D3A2A086C8.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I use the 1 pound tanks for propane lanterns and my weed burner that I sometimes use to light coal. I have a bulk adapter and a 5 foot hose that allows me to use my 5 pound tank or a 20 pound tank yet there are times that having the one pound tank is more convenient.

I use the 1 pound tanks for propane lanterns and my weed burner that I sometimes use to light coal. I have a bulk adapter and a 5 foot hose that allows me to use my 5 pound tank or a 20 pound tank yet there are times that having the one pound tank is more convenient.
I really like the snap jet on the Summit Charcoal- I have used it around 20 times with the one pound propane canister.

I have an adapter hose that will allow me to use a 20 pound canister but I prefer the aesthetics and functionality of the one pound canister.

It nice to be able to refill that one pounder. But also problematic depending on the application it seems.

I agree I have a hose adapter for 20# bottle but I like the smaller bottles,it makes life easier during repositioning of my grill for wind ,hot sun etc. And I can refill my bottles several times safely.

I really like the snap jet on the Summit Charcoal- I have used it around 20 times with the one pound propane canister.

I have an adapter hose that will allow me to use a 20 pound canister but I prefer the aesthetics and functionality of the one pound canister.

It nice to be able to refill that one pounder. But also problematic depending on the application it seems.

Thanks for the Jethro Tull link! I saw them live in Chicago many moons ago when it was still a safe place to visit.....

Back