What do I do 22 or 26???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn W

TVWBB Guru
I have a couple $$$ absoulutely burning my back pocket up!!!

Do I go for the 22 or the 26.75???

Cook for 3-5 50% of the time and 5-10 the other half.

I would love to see some pics of both with food on the grate to get a better idea.

didn't take pic's, but i love my new 26. for indirect cooking it has adequate capacity for smoking 3 racks of ribs with a rib rack or a pork butt and you've got the capacity when you need it for grilling alot if you don't need it dont use it. IMHO if price is not an object go large.

Close yer eyes, clamp yer nose ...and jump in!
Take the 26 incher before yall regret it.
icon_biggrin.gif

IMO.

As somebody who may just buy a 26".... Maybe tomorrow, if not deffinately in the next 2 months.

My problem with the 22 OTS that I have, is that its to small for what I do. When I have the family over, by the time I get the veggies on Im pretty limited in meat area. I usually do foiled potatoes on the gasser becuase of this. Id like to get away from that. Also when I make brats, hamburgers, and hotdogs for the week. Id like to have a cold zone on the grill too.

I recently did 14 brats and hamburgers, and it was a little cramped. Plus, Id just like another grill, for the big party that Im never gunna have
icon_wink.gif

Got me a new 18.5 WSM several weeks ago, had a Genesis gasser for 10 years.

Have a PK Grill for 2 yrs but need more room, Sounds like I need to jump for tha 26er!$!$

I been having the same prob as John P and dont want to chance it with tha 22.

As always thank you guys for your input and knowledge!

Ain't this the best web site ever?!?!?!?

I absoultely love it, but it has its limits.

Honestly one of the best indirect cookers ever made, just cant get a lot of meat on it.

The heavy cast alum construction holds heat like you wouldn't believe, sips charcoal!!!

What kinda cooking you want to do with it?

I've cooked on one for 15 yrs, got my new one 2yrs ago.

If you have the money for the 26.75, you might at least consider a 22 inch Performer since it's the same price.

I will probably get a 26.75 at some point, but it will be in addition to my 22 inch Performer. I love that grill. It addresses all my concerns with the standard kettle.

The other thing to consider is there are a lot more accessories available for the 22.5 inch kettles than the 26. Plus, they are so common you can probably get one used off CL for next to nothing. For example, I picked all this up (plus a cover) on Sunday for $20.

Hey Glenn, i got both the 22 and 26 OTG... the extra space on the 26 is easily more convenient for direct and indirect grilling. i use the same amount of charcoal on both grills. here are some pics with food on the 26inch.

hope this helps.

dsc00948.jpg

dsc00993zqe.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. I'm looking to do some quick grilling on it (chicken, pork chops, burgers and such). I have the WSM and use it for smoking and sometimes grilling on it. But, I'd make the PK my dedicated griller.

I notice no place for the ashes to fall. I guess they just fall down onto the bottom shelf. I guess that's fine since not much should fall out on the short cooks. I was concerned about ash cleanout, but it looks like I could just lift it from the stand and dump the ashes into a trash can.

Based on your comments and those that I have received from a few others on the PK, I'll probably be getting one this spring.

Originally posted by Glenn W:
I absoultely love it, but it has its limits.

Honestly one of the best indirect cookers ever made, just cant get a lot of meat on it.

The heavy cast alum construction holds heat like you wouldn't believe, sips charcoal!!!

What kinda cooking you want to do with it?

I've cooked on one for 15 yrs, got my new one 2yrs ago.

Yes the ash will fall on the bottom shelf.
It is very easy to remove lower half to dump.

If your going to grill most of the time I would recommend a 22 Weber. Above the bottom vents are HOT spots, so your kinda limited to the middle area.

It is a Awsome Product though, very versatile and will last a long long time.

I got my first from my grandparents, they bought new in the 50's and I got it in 94, used till 07 and retired it to deer camp where it is still being used and going strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back