What do good ribs taste like?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have met the Rib Snob ... and he is me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Touché!
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote from Dennis T:
(Regarding ribs, my experience is that people equate "good" with "tender").......

BINGO, we have a winner!

I was watching "Barbeque America" on PBS. They went to a place called Dreamland. ( I forget which state ) The Pitmaster was doing whole spares with no rub, just a little bit of salt. He threw them on a hickory fired brick grill and mopped with a spicy vinegar based mop. I nearly did a spit-take when he was asked how long he cooks them and replied " Some people cook ribs for 4 to 5 hours, but since I've been working here at Dreamland, 30 minutes to an hour is just as good".
icon_rolleyes.gif

The original Dreamland is in Tuscaloosa. They used to do only ribs and white bread--that was it--no sides. I'm not sure if they've kept that going since they franchised (they're in Birmingham, Mobile I think, and Roswell, Ga).

Many people rave about their ribs. I'm not a big fan. Imo, they have a distinctly par-boiled-ahead-of-time feel to them. Not sure if that's what they do. They're not bad, but I wouldn't rave.

Dennis that was my whole point about trying new things. About 8 years ago a looked on the internet for a recipe to cook ribs on my gasser. I found a recipe and really liked it. About 3 years later I buy my brinkman. I didn't experiment with recipes. I used the same one. They just tasted better because of the smoke.

Last year a couple of weeks before my birthday I start looking at smoker to see what I want next. I was planning on spending my birthday money on one. That is how I found this site. My first cook was ribs. You guessed it the same recipe. Actually the first time I tried anything different was just several weeks ago I finally tried the BRITU ribs.

The point is it is really hard to try something different if you really liked what you already had.

One comment on montgomery inn. There is a guy who works for us that spent many years bartending around. He says he worked at montgomery inn years ago as a bartender. He says he knows the owner well. He says the only difference between the sauce in the store and the restraunt is a bit of Jack Daniels. Supposedly it was harder to get into stores with alcohol in it. I don't know this guy has a ton of stories I just wonder how many are true. If you know what I mean.

I was watching a show by Al Roker on babecue last night and I was struck by some comments made by the people he spotlighted and the subject of this thread.

One person was very clear that the secret to great ribs was in the rub. Another said that the secret was in the sauce. I would guess that each would feel that their ribs were the best.

I'm at the point in my development where I think the secret (for me right now) is in how I operate the smoker ... learning how to achieve a consistent cooking environment. Once I have a better grasp of control ... I'll be able to move on to other variables (rub, smoke, sauce, etc.).

So ... I guess I've concluded that the definition of a "good rib" is something that changes over time for each smoker. Each rib along the way is wonderful, but we're probably always in pursuit of the "perfect rib".

First off,
Spare ribs over B-Backs.
Tender to the point just short of fall off the bone
Wet, but not dripping, and caramelized a little bit.
A little zest to them, but not enough to take over the flavor of the meat.
A good smoke flavor, but see last comment.
How's that for a list lol.
I saw one show the other day where the host bit into the rib, and had to pull/rip pretty hard to get the meat off the bone. I would say that's a little to "stiff" for me, but he said it had a great flavor. (go figure lol)

I have a friend that invited us over for "beef BBQ ribs" which were the boneless shoulder cuts (I guess) and he grilled them. He claimed this to be his specialty. They were tough, dry and tasted like a cheap steak. So he failed on two points, that was not BBQ and those were not ribs. If that was the specialty, I hate to taste the bad stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If that was the specialty, I hate to taste the bad stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL. I hear that!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> A little zest to them, but not enough to take over the flavor of the meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll be passing through Lancaster around dinner time...
icon_biggrin.gif

(Passed through Dennis' and Jeff's 'hoods in Ohio this a.m. but I thought dropping in for breakfast might be too much.)

Where are the Montgomery Inns anyway?

Well Kevin, Your in luck. The 10.7# picnic is in the cooler, and to be pulled in about an hour.
Wife made scratch Mac & Cheese also.

Sorry, no ribs lol. Now you know why my Wife thinks I pick to much about what I cook, always find something that could be tweaked, but sometimes you are at the mercy of the particular cut of meat you are cooking that day. I love the results of my ribs, but always thinking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Where are the Montgomery Inns anyway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are two locations, both in Cincy. The original is in Montgomery (hence the name). The second, the Boathouse, is on the river.

Thanks, Jay. I'll try any popular Q place once anyway, to see what's selling.

Bob--43.3 miles from you! Seriously though, enjoy your meal. Sounds great.

There's also a Montgomery Inn in Northern Kentucky (shoes optional) off I-75/71 ... it's where the Oldenberg Brewery was located.

"(Passed through Dennis' and Jeff's 'hoods in Ohio this a.m. but I thought dropping in for breakfast might be too much.)"

Hey ... you could have dropped in ... what would you have brought us for B'fast?

The new Chile Pepper (I think thats the title) magazine is out and is all about grilling. I mention this for this thread, because they have recommendations for the best Q' restaurants and some are in the midwest. Might bear to check it out. It also has an excellent article on Paul Kirk.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
First off,
Spare ribs over B-Backs.
Tender to the point just short of fall off the bone
Wet, but not dripping, and caramelized a little bit.
A little zest to them, but not enough to take over the flavor of the meat.
A good smoke flavor, but see last comment.
How's that for a list lol.
I saw one show the other day where the host bit into the rib, and had to pull/rip pretty hard to get the meat off the bone. I would say that's a little to "stiff" for me, but he said it had a great flavor. (go figure lol) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't see that show, but was he at a restaurant in TN? The reason I ask is because I saw a show last year and the owner of one place in TN leaves the membrane on so the customer can "work for the reward."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what would you have brought us for B'fast? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Eggs! Real ones--from my bantams (tiny) and my ducks (big!). Fixing to cook a few now.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> so the customer can "work for the reward." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hmm. Is it me or does that make no sense?

Back