What did I get? Genesis w/ side burner

Kaz S

TVWBB Pro
I got this for free over the weekend. Someone was dragging it out as scrap metal.

I know its a genesis with a side burner. But don't know what exact model or what year? Where is the serial #?

It looks pretty good aside from the large scratch in the lid. It looks like all that is missing is the grate that goes over the side burner. I plan on cleaning it up and making it the flagship of a now all weber fleet. :D

What should I look for? What can you tell me about it? Will warranty cover a scratched lid?

20120806_082906.jpg

20120806_082914.jpg

20120806_082920.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'm looking forward to eating off this.

So upon further investigation, I found the serial # - It is a 2006 model 42,000 btu with 12,000 btu side burner. I'm still not sure what they called this at the time. whether its a Silver C or a e-330 or what? I see that this model is now sold as a Spirit e-320. Its sort of an ackward design. The older ones are great because they have loads of side tables even side tables that fold up. And the new ones have knobs on the front so you get a full two side tables. This one you sort of get cheated by the knobs and then really cheated if your actually using the side burner and the grill then you get a half a side table. Oh well. Its still one amazing grill. I'm not complaining and i'm glad they have the new ones figured out better. I'm just commenting on my first impressions of the layout of this particular grill.

Here are some more photos before I've cleaned it.

Looking it over it was most likely thrown away because they had the catch tray in backwards and the rubber line got to hot and melted a hole in the rubber line. So it will need a LP rubber hose. Is that something thats covered under warranty? Either way I will call Weber CS this week with an order.

20120806_170613.jpg

20120806_170633.jpg

20120806_171117.jpg

20120806_171137.jpg

20120806_171419.jpg

20120806_171428.jpg

The sad thing is that I probably would of paid $150 it and others on craigslist regularly sell for more than that. But good for me that dumb dumb threw it away i've been looking for one of this caliber for about 2 years now. Good things come to those who wait.

I think that this is my karma grill because about 3 weeks ago I got a free black 22" OTG and gave it to my mother-in-law. It required nothing but a cleaning. I actually cleaned it in her yard and cooked the whole family ribeyes on it the same night i got it. It also came with a chimney starter. Technically thats her grill but its pretty much just so i can cook dinner on it when i'm over there.

Either way i love my new gasser, and I cannot wait to see the grill marks from these cast iron grates.

Aside form the rust that will slowly eat away at it, you got an awesome grill! Some cleaning and a few parts and that thing will be fantastic. I don't think Weber si going to warranty much, but if you had to spend $150 on parts it will still be a great st(d)eal!

Your right AJ. I'm gonna spray some rust killer type paint over top of the parts on the frame that are rusting. Luckily for this poor grill its finally in the hands of someone with more sense than money. Someone who actually cares about it. It will be back fully functional without much money at all. I was really wanting to try those solid 3/8" stainless steel rod grates but these cast iron grates are in just too good of shape to replace. That's the good thing about cast iron they actually benefit from a lack of cleaning and greasy grill mess. I do believe it has stainless steel burners and those are in perfect shape. I'll atleast upgtade to stainless flavor bars in a year or two when these fall apart. I still prefer charcoal cooking but the misses was really wanting a easy nice gas grill. I mainly use my gas grill for the side burner so win win!

I'm atleast gonna ask how much a hood is, but its sort of a battle scar to tell its history. So I'll probably keep it.

The igniter is one of the pziometric kinds I believe. If you hear it clicking does that mean its sparking? I can't see the spark but I really want to use the igniter button for wifey's sake. Altough the hole in the front of the grill makes it pretty durn easy.

The knobs were off in the original picture but they went right back on. I love the little kettles on them. And the doors shut perfectly I now there sort of open in the one photo. I'll post more pics when I get it into place with the rest of the family.

Your right AJ. I'm gonna spray some rust killer type paint over top of the parts on the frame that are rusting. Luckily for this poor grill its finally in the hands of someone with more sense than money. Someone who actually cares about it. It will be back fully functional without much money at all. I was really wanting to try those solid 3/8" stainless steel rod grates but these cast iron grates are in just too good of shape to replace. That's the good thing about cast iron they actually benefit from a lack of cleaning and greasy grill mess. I do believe it has stainless steel burners and those are in perfect shape. I'll atleast upgtade to stainless flavor bars in a year or two when these fall apart. I still prefer charcoal cooking but the misses was really wanting a easy nice gas grill. I mainly use my gas grill for the side burner so win win!

I'm atleast gonna ask how much a hood is, but its sort of a battle scar to tell its history. So I'll probably keep it.

The igniter is one of the pziometric kinds I believe. If you hear it clicking does that mean its sparking? I can't see the spark but I really want to use the igniter button for wifey's sake. Altough the hole in the front of the grill makes it pretty durn easy.

The knobs were off in the original picture but they went right back on. I love the little kettles on them. And the doors shut perfectly I now there sort of open in the one photo. I'll post more pics when I get it into place with the rest of the family.

Check ebay for a lid. There was 3 listed, one was black. It was lightly used but very clean. Shipping and buy it now was around $100 if memory serves me right.

I have seen the the lids on eBay as well. But is it really worth a $100. If its a dent, you might be able to massage it out form the back. Are those lids double walled? As fo the grates, I have CI on a little 2 burner Spirit.
Fantastic grill marks. And its the wifes grill. No one cooks a better steak than her..
If you here it clicking, it is probably a dirty ignitor.
Can't wait to see it all cleaned up. I'm glad it fell into the right hands. Gotta luv fate!

The only bad part of trying bang the ding in the lid out is removing the inner linner. I see the side burner is missing the grate, which is no big expense item. The propane hose being burnt I have read on other sites where people are mounting the bottle outside of the cabinet under the right hand side table all the hadware mount out there just backwards. As they say it is very hot in there from the drip tray. And they have burnt there hands on the drip pan. I have noticed that area being very warm when turning off the gas myself I have not gotten burnt as of yet.

All in all a great grill and i beleive you got it for the best price, looking forward to the update photos.

That is a 2007 model Genesis E-320 that was first released in 12/2006. That is a $750 grill! I can't believe somebody would just trash it like that. It looks like it will clean up real nice! Nice find!

Last edited:
That is a 2007 model Genesis E-320 that was first released in 12/2006. That is a $750 grill! I can't believe somebody would just trash it like that. It looks like it will clean up real nice! Nice find!

Jeff I also can not beleive people have so much disposable income, There is not that much wrong with this grill to throw it away, I would hate to see his house.

I ordered the parts for it. The grill needed one $18 part. Its officially registered to me also. Because guess what the original owner didn't register it either. I went ahead and upgraded the side burner trivet to a stainless steel one. Whoo hoo! But I couldn't justify the $190 for the lid. Its not a dent just a scratch that chipped the porcelein. I got some bbq paint (black brush on) and all the oven cleaner at the hazardous waste area of the local du mp.

So cleaning has commenced. It looks better in person than in the pics I think.

20120810_163704.jpg

20120810_163443.jpg

I'm waiting on a rain free day to paint. Too wet and too humid today.

Last edited:
Got the lid painted today. Turned out ok. A lot better looking than the scratch. Such a sweet grill.

20120811_191604.jpg

Kas,

It looks so much better with a little clean up, Very nice job, you will really like this grill they cook very well,and hold temp real well also.

Enjoy.

Back