What did I buy for 10 bucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Stavlund

TVWBB Member
Found a kettle at an estate sale today. Stamped 'K', which I think is 1988. It is red, has the thermometer in the lid and the silver lid holder on the side. I called Weber to ask about ordering the ash sweeper assembly (it is a one-touch, but it's all seized up and bent), and they thought it was a Master-Touch model. Though unfortunately they no longer have parts for the ash catcher (which must be why someone has replaced the fancy ash can assembly with the frisbee-style ash catcher pan).

(I've been around her long enough, however, to trust the collective wisdom accumulated here, so feel free to disagree with this history ;-).

The bowl has some dents and rust on it and there are some chips on the edge of the lid, but the wood handles are in decent shape and everything seems to be round.

Does anyone know of a way to retrofit a modern ash-can assembly to this older grill?

My biggest question is about the performance of these 80s-era grills versus the modern ones. I've cooked on a few vintage grills (a '69 or so and what I'm guessing is an early-80s model), and have found them to run hotter and hold the heat much better than the newer grills. Do folks think that I might want to trade my 2011 OTG for this grill? (I've got limited space at my place.)

Also, if this thing would be especially valuable to someone for parts or something, I'm willing to pass it on (no need for a profit or anything-- just wouldn't want to see something valuable go to waste).

Thanks!

I think that I have its twin sister. works great for me I cook on it everyday. I am not experienced enough to know about the heat being higher, but in my limited humble opinion it has been good for my smokes. I also have the frisbee ash catch.

Thanks for the feedback, Ted. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Learning that we have the same features got me to wondering... so I went back to the schematic the rep. at Weber referred me to, and found out that it was for Master Touch kettles from '93 to '98. So knowing that we have '88s, I got a little suspicious.

So I did a little more looking around a more authoritative resources (this one), and found a thread where it was suggested that before the Master Touch was introduced, there was a 'One-Touch Plus' that was the top of the line grill. It had a frisbee-style ash catch (presumably because the ash can hadn't been invented yet).

I'll call Weber again on Monday and see if they have any more info.

...now all I need to do is decide if I want to keep this red kettle or give it to my current apprentice (he's only got an 18", and it's not big enough for a turkey).

Hi Mike,
You are correct, Weber sold the Mastertouch without the gold style pan. Amd ues, you can retrofit the grill with the new style ash pan. Just know that Weber may not sell yo uthe parts. You also need ot do some cutting on the leg sockets. If you search this site, you will find how to get it done.
If Weber won't sell it, search eBay for a seller who has them.

Hey Mike can you send some pictures of the leg sockets. Like a picture taken from the bottom side as if you flipped the grill over. We can get your new style ash pan on there we just need to see what we have to do. I have put the new style on older grills. There are many ways to do it. Don't worry we will get you set up,

Brian

Michael,

Unless you have an redhead, I would be selfish and keep it. I love the way the red deepens as you cook and everyone comments on the red color. Thanks for the info that you have found. Good luck with it and enjoy!!

Hi Mike, if the porcelain is in good shape I would def keep it over a modern OTG. You can get some replacement wood handles, move your ash catcher over, and still come out ahead if you sell the OTG. Good luck! Post up a pic when you can.

Thanks, everyone!

Some photos:

http://mikestavlund.com/wp-con...2012/06/IMG_8950.jpg
http://mikestavlund.com/wp-con...2012/06/IMG_8952.jpg
http://mikestavlund.com/wp-con...2012/06/IMG_8954.jpg

I removed the ash can from my newer OTG today, just to get a feel for it. Based on the thread I saw, I could put some saw kerfs in the leg sockets of the red kettle with a grinder (I don't own a Dremel) and retrofit the newer ash can. Though I'm eager to hear about Brian's other suggestions for retrofitting an ash can. Looks like the leg sockets are a bit out of alignment for a straightforward install.

There are two quarter-sized dents on the bowl that are rusting, and I'd relish some advice on how to clean those up and do some touch-up to stop the rust.

The more I look at this grill, the more I think it wants to stay with me. Red is so cool. My six-year old agrees-- she says it is the same grill as she sees on 'Good Eats' with Alton Brown. I think she might be right.

The hose clamp option is detailed in this thread. http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...991028506#4991028506
If you wanted to get fancy you can probably attach it to the socket with the screw on the inside. You can probably also paint the clamp to match before installation. I have done that fr other projects an the paint stays on pretty well.

For painting inspiration you can ask Brian Moriarty or search "red kettle restoration swampprb" for his other posts in google.

Mike,

I have the exact same red grill, except it's a L instead of a K. I replaced the Weber ash pan with an old Brinkman water pan. It holds more ash and wind is less of a problem.

Bill

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, everyone! I really appreciate it.

I just ordered a thermometer and a leg cap and an ash sweep assembly for the red 'K' grill (and a modern ash can assembly for my newer OTG ;-). I'll be out of town for several weeks, though, so the actual repairs will have to wait. Can't wait to get her cleaned up and in operating condition so I can see how she cooks. I think I'll start by roasting a chicken.

Hey Mike I would seriously consider the hose clamp method. Sawing into the steel weakens it and could knock off the enamel and cause eventual rust. The clamps hold it awesome, just my opinion,

Brian

Thanks, Brian, I will definitely consider that-- I take your suggestions very seriously. I have been considering the potential weakening of the steel and other possible problems, and I'm sure the hose clamps won't be too noticeable against the metallic mounting ring.

I mentioned Alton Brown's 'Good Eats' redhead Weber earlier in this thread... I was re-watching his hour-long episode on BBQ and paid special attention when he flipped over his grill to attach one of those air-control units to one of the bottom vents. I noticed that he, too, has a pre-ash can grill that has been converted. Except instead of a slot or hose clamp, I saw one hole drilled into each leg holder. Now I don't have the tools to tap a proper thread through there, but I was thinking that I could drill a simple hole through the steel, then sink a self-tapping machine screw into the softer leg itself.
Has anyone seen this kind of attachment? Or should I go with my current thinking and use the SS band clamps? Thanks as always for the insight and expertise.

Mike,

I would be worried about chipping the porcelain. That area is notorious for rust. It may be difficult to fit a step drill in there which is preferred to a normal drill bit.

You got me thinking though, you may want to consider drilling into the legs just a few mm below. The legs are aluminum so they will never rust and replaceable unlike a red porcelain bowl. You will never notice it was screwed in once installed either.

I may try this if I find a worthy grill in the future. Good brainstorming!

Hey there Mike...chimming in a bit late here, but for 10 bucks, the grill doesn't look bad at all. And yes, Weber DID make whats called a One Touch Plus which is what you have. The only difference between yours and a Mastertouch was yours doesn't have the enclosed ash catcher, but just the tray. Keep that grill and have fun with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back