What cuts of pork can't be smoked (with success)

David Frank

Hi. I'm a long-time lurker (thank you all so much for the info and recipes!) and a bbq hobbiest/enthuisiest.

I'll cut straight to the chase. I've been asked by my neice to do the food for her graduation party. She wants pulled pork as she and her family have enjoyed the meats I've had at our parties over the years. Here's the hang up: They already bought and processed a half of a hog. They were under the impression that I could smoke any part of the pig and it would work for pulled pork sandwiches.

That's where I'm stumped. Obviously I can use the shoulder (butt and picnic roast) but what else can I use?

I swear that I searched this site as well as google for an hour yesterday but couldn't find the infor I was looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

As long as you chop it all up it will work. That is what a lot of bbq joints do. The reason shoulder pulls so easy is because it is several muscles. The leaner parts of a whole hog wont pull apart as easy, so you can chop it all up and mix it and sauce it. It will all have a great smokey flavor that way.

David,

As cheap as pork butts are I would tell them to leave the 1/2 hog in the freezer and buy some butts. The processed parts would be better suited to other dishes than BBQ.

Welcome David!

You can smoke any part of the pig. As Dean says, just chop the lean cuts (loins, etc.) and mix all together. Your lean cuts won't need to smoke nearly as long as a butt. If you leave a loin on too long it will dry out. So watch each cut independently. I've had excellent chopped pork in South Carolina so don't hesitate to use it.

Paul

Welcome aboard David. I can tell you that even with a WSM 22 incher, you'll have to cut that half hog up anyway before you smoke it. I know a guy who has a rotisserie setup for his cooker. He did a fresh ham on it that turned out just incredible. The skin & fat layer held in all the juices and the thing basically self basted. He injected some rub just under the skin, and it went anywhere there was a muscle separation. I remember for that cook that he got two good sized shoulders to fit on the lower rack. He used the same rub, and had the fat dripping off the ham basting parts of those once it got hot.

Thanks for the info - this will help me out. I'd love to go JSMcdowell's route but they are pretty set on using what they've got. It looks like I'll be fine I'll just be sure to moniter each peice and take them off as they each get done.

Thanks everyone!

A whole, half or quarter of a hog cooked with the bones in and the skin on will pull just fine. I've cooked many 65# and down on a Weber Ranch Kettle. Everything is easy to pull. The problem is when the skin and bone is removed. Classic example is the Picnic. Skin and bone on it's a great cut to smoke. Boneless and skinless it's very lean. You can still pull it you just need to smoke it till crusted then braise it with liquid in a pan or foiled. A dutch oven is ideal once it's smoked. Doing a whole hog is one of the major benefits of owning a Ranch Kettle. Hog Jowls (cheek meat) is the best eating on the pig.

I should re-iterate that the half hog is already processed. Specifically that means it's been cut down into pieces. I would have no means of smoking a whole or half hog. I just have a WSM 22.5. In this case I'll be smoking the individual cuts that the hog has been broken down into.

Thanks for the awesome info though!

Back