What Causes Green Pork Butts?

Pic# 3 is similar to what I mentioned in post#2.
I'm doing a butt today on the smokefire and will keep watch.

There is a possibilty that the pork has not completely thawed in the blade bone area of the pork butt, Oliver said the internal temp before it went on smoker was 34 F thats pretty cold . I am assuming the interenal temp was taken from the bonless part of the pork further down from thicker blade bone part of the pork butt , and 34 F is only 2 degrees away from being frozen, so what would have been the temp in the blade bone portion of the pork butt, it may have still had a touch of frost left in that area ? Olivers freezer could be set really low below the 0F degrees mark and then thawing the frozen pork out in a 34 F fridge might taken longer than the normal 2+ days or so to completey thaw under those conditions.
Can you smoke meat that is partially frozen?
Completely thaw meat or poultry before smoking. Because smoking uses low temperatures to cook food, the meat will take too long to thaw in the smoker, allowing it to linger in the "Danger Zone" (the temperatures between 40 °F (4.44C) and 140 °F ( 60 °C) where harmful bacteria can multiply.
Oliver I know you are very frustrated and rightfully so , what you may consider is a bone in fresh pork butt that has not been frozen next time and see how that turns out.. Also check the temp on your freezer it could be set lower that it should be mentioned below by the FDA , causing meat to completely thaw longer than normal.
The FDA recommends a freezer temperature of 0˚F (-18˚C

Last edited:
This was a 3 year old butt 12 / 2020, that was still partially frozen.
On the smokefire @ 280 for 9 hrs till the stall. Wrapped in a foil pan then 300 for two hours.
Still felt firm so in the indoor appliance @ 325 for another 1.5.
Just pulled it and noticed the green tint but it quickly faded to a gray.

Attachments

• 20230620_170606.jpg
    20230620_170606.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230620_170630.jpg
    20230620_170630.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230620_170650.jpg
    20230620_170650.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 21
On the smokefire @ 280 for 9 hrs till the stall. Wrapped in a foil pan then 300 for two hours.
Congrats on your Smokefire cook! And hopefully this will ease some concerns, though Oliver may still have a bitter taste to address.

What did you do with it?

Many years ago I opened a can of chili and there was a greenish layer on the chili. The can wasn't damaged and the contents smelled fine and when I ate it, it tasted fine. 1 hour later I started to vomit for about an hour straight then I was okay. Lesson learned, if in doubt throw it out.:sick:

Lesson learned, if in doubt throw it out.:sick:
I'm sorry you had that experience and this does not apply to your particular experience but it's also beneficial to seek accurate knowledge if in doubt so that we can know what is a true, potential risk. I suspect I've discarded food because I thought it could be bad when, in fact, it was not harmful.

Last edited:

Back