What can I put in the water pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris G.

TVWBB Member
Hello all!

Just got my WBS Saturday, and this is my first post here! I have already purchased a high quality temp gauge that I will be installing before use.

Anyway, I have a rib recipie, that calls for dry low (220 f) heat for 2.25 hours. For the next 2.25 hours, it calls for "steaming" the ribs in a mixture of pineapple, grape, and apple juices, which is usually done in an oven, with a baking pan and cooking bag.

I know of course I can mimick the first part of the recipie in the smoker, but what about the "steaming" part? Can I simply put my juices directly into the water pan?

Thoughts?

Thanks much? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Chris,

Welcome to the wonderful world of WSM cooking. You'll find a lot of information here, so take the time to read all of Chris's great information and check out some of the archived forum's material as well.

As far as duplicating the recipe you have, you can try the "steaming" technique by wrapping your ribs in foil with the liquids inside the foil package. You'll probably want to take them out of the foil and put them back on the grill to let them firm up a little.

Good Luck,

Rick

Chris,

I do not recommend putting the juices in the water pan. It has been documented many times on this board that water/juices add very little moisture or flavor to what you are cooking. That is why alot of people, including myself, use sand in the water pan. The pan is there mainly to provide a heat sink to help regulate temps in the pit.

I agree with Rick. Wrap the ribs in foil and put the juices in with the ribs.
-------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Chris

I don't think you would accomplish the desired result of steaming by putting the juice in the water pan. I would recommend wrapping the ribs in heavy foil,losely, with the juice applied over the ribs. You can then steam them in the WSM.

The consensus seems to be that juice, beer, etc in the water pan does not add flavor to the meat. Better to use the beer for the purpose it was intended !

PRG

Hi Chris. Man this site is full of great advice! Any problem or question is answered before you can get another pop. One little warning...you might not want to wrap the ribs in foil with those juices for 2 hours or more. They will be mushy -you'll pick up a rib and leave the meat on the plate. You might wanna try only foiling them for about an hour or try a foil pan with some of the juices in it, put a wire rack on top with the ribs on that. Cover with a loose foil tent so air can still circulate. Once the meat is pulling back some from the end of the bone and they feel easy to bend, take 'em off the liquid and finish them on the grate with your sauce.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>One little warning...you might not want to wrap the ribs in foil with those juices for 2 hours or more. They will be mushy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And especially not pineapple juice. Pineapple contains the protein-degrading enzyme bromelain, which is extracted and used in such products as meat tenderizer-- which is why Jello won't set with pineapple in it. Papaya contains a functionally analogous enzyme, used in Adolph's, I believe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb]
Pineapple contains the protein-degrading enzyme bromelain, which is extracted and used in such products as meat tenderizer-- which is why Jello won't set with pineapple in it. Papaya contains a functionally analogous enzyme, used in Adolph's, I believe. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The things you can learn here...amazing!
Thanks Doug or can I call you Dr. Science?
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back