What Brand Hot Dogs?

DUBUQUE BEEF. I love hot dogs and have done boars head , vienna, nathans, ny hots, etc and I still like Dubuque Beef the best. They arent available everywhere but if you see them at your store TRY THEM!

Originally posted by george curtis:
i noticed no one from the west replied. i havn't found any good nat casings stuff around here. me thinks its regional.

So I'm no one????? I was one of the first to reply. I recommended Nathan's natural casing hot dogs (which can be difficult to find out here, but not impossible). They're my favorite and much better than the skinless Nathans dogs.

I get them at Gelson's and sometimes Pavillions/Vons.

Bill

I agree with Richard D and Marc M on Hummel Brothers natural casing dogs. They're tops in Southwestern CT. All the Duchess Restaurants sell them. They're sold in the deli at Stop N Shop, or you can buy a 5 pound bag at Costco.

Steve E,

You're from Lititz, PA???? Have a pretzel for me. My parents used to travel to PA a lot when I was a kid and we toured the pretzel factory more than once.

Some days I really miss PA.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
My favorite is Nathan's Natural Casing Hot Dogs.

Bill

p239416-Coney_Island-Nathans_Hot_Dogs.jpg

Add Nathan's pickles to that, and make a NYC dog into a Chicago dog.

nathans-dill-500x500.jpg

If you want tasty and healthier than the normal dog try Applegate. I have been trying to watch what I eat but still enjoy my favorites. One of those is a great hot dog. Most are highly processed meat and really not healthy for you. If you compare fat, etc. etc. in another hot dogs compared to Applegate you will find them to be the best for you AND they taste great! Grass fed beef versus corn fed and all organic. Check them out and try them, you will have a new favorite.

Applegate Farms Organic Meat and Natural Meats
Applegate Farms Organic Foods include Organic Meat and Cheese Deli products , available through grocery stores

www.applegatefarms.com

Originally posted by Brian Snow:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
My favorite is Nathan's Natural Casing Hot Dogs.

Bill

Add Nathan's pickles to that, and make a NYC dog into a Chicago dog.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make a NY hotdog into a Chicago hot dog? NEVER!!!!!

Bill

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Thumann's. The ones in the white packaging with blue writing are great. Definitely have a snap if cooked right.
hotdogtastetest_02.jpg

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I've found a couple natural casing dogs locally including one store brand which possess the requisite SNAP and taste great. However my wife has strongly recommended that I cease and desist with the hot dogs already. Killjoy.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Another vote for Sahlens from a native New Yorker.
As for a decent Bay Area substitute, Caspers fills the void.
And if you're feeling bold, make your own. Because nothing impresses the guests like a 5 foot frankfurter.

hotdogs.jpg

Originally posted by Joe V:
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I've found a couple natural casing dogs locally including one store brand which possess the requisite SNAP and taste great. However my wife has strongly recommended that I cease and desist with the hot dogs already. Killjoy.
icon_rolleyes.gif

well what brand were they? After all these suggestions you aren't going to tell us? Man, I would love a few hotdogs right about now !

Originally posted by Dom R:
well what brand were they? After all these suggestions you aren't going to tell us? Man, I would love a few hotdogs right about now !

The winners were Hofmann Natural Casing German Franks @ $3.48/lb and Nathans Natural Casing Beef Franks @ $4.18/12oz. I found both at the local Walmart.
Honorable mention and a best buy @ $2.99/lb goes to Hannaford store brand Natural Casing Franks.

Honorable mention and a best buy @ $2.99/lb goes to Hannaford store brand Natural Casing Franks.

I can vouch for the Hannaford NC's, they are quite good. FYI, many of the hotdog brands up here in New England are now made by Kayem. My personal favorite dogs are Essem NC's. Before ballparks decided to cut costs, they were THE hotdog served in most sports venues. The only thing is, Kayem makes those dogs and only sells 'em in 3-5 lb deli pack bags. Only places I've seen them recently are in a few Market Basket locations. Other than that, they are pretty much gone. Expensive for hotdogs too, I rarely see them for less than 5 bucks a pound. Lucky for me, Market Basket's store brand NC's are tasty too, and usually cost about 3.50 a pound.

Great signature, Jim. I wonder how many of us here enjoy strumming a few cowboy chords while waiting for the coals to gray...

Kayem Natural Casing franks have a nice snap,
plus they split well.
I also agree with previous post that Hummel Bros.
are a very tasty dog.
icon_smile.gif

I tried Nathans beef hot dogs for the first time last week and I will definitely go for these again. I've always been a Ball Park frank person, but I believe I may be switching.

Back