What are YOU smoking this weekend?

Originally posted by Brian Bo.:
And done.

newribs1.jpg

newribs2.jpg

newribs3.jpg
Ok since nobody else said anything I will and I mean no harm here, just a little concerned at your pics of the ribs. Unless that's some really poor lighting or picture issues, to me it seems you might have some soot/combustion issues going on there. Your ribs look caked in black tar/soot and that's not good. Maybe it was just bad pics?
Here's my BB's 5 hrs on the WSM in comparrison.
BabyBacks003.jpg

Butt just about done. I still haven't been able to hit 195 without using foil.

Currently sitting at 171 but the fork turned easy when I put it in, so she's done.

No soot. I took those pictures with my cell phone camera, which usually sucks. I lost the USB cable for my digital camera and cannot transfer the pictures until I find/buy a cable. The ribs tasted great.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Ok since nobody else said anything I will and I mean no harm here, just a little concerned at your pics of the ribs. Unless that's some really poor lighting or picture issues, to me it seems you might have some soot/combustion issues going on there. Your ribs look caked in black tar/soot and that's not good. Maybe it was just bad pics?
]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/947456/BabyBacks003.jpg[/IMG]
I was gonna say something last night, but then I saw the plate they are on, and it looks like it says, "The Agony of Burnt Meat", so I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not.
icon_rolleyes.gif

None the less, I'm doin' some ribs up, but spares cut st. louis style, and trying something a tad different than most of you have done, gonna use miso sauce on them. Miso is the outcome of pickling/fermenting soy beans for about 6 months. Unfortunately my wife has a batch in progress that won't be done for a few more months, but she's off to get some miso at the Japanese market so I can try this...I've actually done ribs with miso on them before, just not on the WSM. This will be the first for the WSM.

Been a busy morning, I started by slicing and bagging the rest of my bacon. Then I pulled the three turkey breasts I smoked last night out of the fridge and sliced and bagged those. I wish I had a little helper that could do all the cleaning, it would cut my time in half
icon_wink.gif

I just fired the WSM up again, lump with plenty of lit and a bunch of hickory. Doing a HH choice flat this afternoon. As soon as the smoker settles in ~350* I'm headed to the store. I'm gunna relax and put away a few beers this afternoon. Maybe the wife will finish cleaning up my mess in the kitchen
icon_rolleyes.gif
Enjoy whats left of your Sunday guys!

Brandon

some neely's sweet and spicy slaw from the sides forum and the spares with kevin kruger's rib rub which is probably one of the best rubs i've used on ribs.

DSCN0105.jpg

I'm two hours into my HH brisket smoke. Temp read 159* and I figured, close enough, into the foil she went. I'm thinking check for tender in 2 more hours. Sound about right or should I check sooner? Runnin at ~350. This is my third attempt at a HH flat.

Brandon

Originally posted by Brandon A:
I'm two hours into my HH brisket smoke. Temp read 159* and I figured, close enough, into the foil she went. I'm thinking check for tender in 2 more hours. Sound about right or should I check sooner? Runnin at ~350. This is my third attempt at a HH flat.

Brandon
Start checking for tender at the 90 min mark. Mine are never quite done at 90 min but it's best to check too early than too late. Mine usually take 2- 2.25 hrs once foiled. Good luck Bud.

Just checked the two hour point, flet maybe a hint of resistance. She was sitting in about 2 cups of goodness. Juices drained (added a bit back into the resting foil) and into the microwave she went. Going to chill the remaining juices and defat, then dump them into a jar of my fav. bbq sauce. I got a really good feeling about this flat
icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks to all you high heat advocates. It's been a great weekend for cooking!

Brandon

Ribs!!! Good ones, not slimy stinky old ones.
icon_wink.gif

Bryan, I gave you props in the Garbage Can, but I doubt you'd recognize what I made. A few days ago I saw a post on a simple finishing sauce of yours with butter and chicken stock.

Well, I changed it and used it as a baste. I really wanted to use the butter and chicken, but here's what I did. Double strength chicken stock, 1/2 stick butter, 2 tbl Sriracha sauce and some brown sugar melted in a sauce pan and poured in the foil with the ribs for an hour or so. WOW!

It gave the ribs just a bit of a bite. I don't know how it sounds to you pros, but it was pretty good.

I need to work on it because I think it has some potential. It's all about experimenting, right?
icon_biggrin.gif

The temp started out high and the wind was crazy, so I didn't finish over high heat.

I lightly brushed the ribs with Cattlemans after unfoiling for the last hour and didn't use anymore sauce.

008resize.jpg

Another weekend is gone and Monday looms on the horizon
icon_frown.gif
It has been an awesome weekend though, got to hang with the kids a bit, and cook a load of food. Eight bags of bacon, Fifteen bags of turkey, a fattie, and the best brisket I've ever done. I swear I added nothing to enhance the wet look on this brisket. Oh and heres the lil slideshow

IMG_9142.jpg

Heres a link to the entire weekend cook album.

Thanks for contributing guys! Its good to see everyone's got something going on the weekends! Kitchen is clean and its time to have a couple nightcaps and hit the hay.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Brandon

Originally posted by Brandon A:
Thanks for contributing guys! Its good to see everyone's got something going on the weekends! Kitchen is clean and its time to have a couple nightcaps and hit the hay.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Brandon
I've been "nightcapping" since 9pm!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back