What are you paying for your butt?

Glenn M

TVWBB Member
I went to a local, albeit upscale, butcher today who gave me a price of $2.49/lb. I read Chris' article on the subject and his prices were considerably lower but then I don't know when that was written.

I like the idea of supporting an old fashioned local butcher (there's just something right about this to me) but I think he's quite a bit higher than I could do elsewhere.

Is this just the price of nostalgia?

Last time was $1.35/lb from a local meat wholesaler (they have a Cash and Carry store). Two butts in cryovac. It fluctuates based on the market for hogs.

I go to Costcos or BJ's and they are around $1.38/pound for Butts.
I hear what you say about supporting the little local guys, but I only can go so far with that. I work a lot of hours to support my Wifey, 2 kids and the mortgage. I also have to worry about what's the best value for my situation. I do what I can.
icon_wink.gif

$0.99/lb for Kroger Moist & Tender in cryovac.
These are injected, and turn out just a little salty, but price is my driving factor.

I have 2 7-pounder's on right now.
Rubbed w/ Chris Lily's.

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
The figurines atop your wedding cake were actually cigarette butts with smiley faces drawn on them.

The local grocery has butt for $2/pound. You can usually get picnic on sale for half that, $1/pound, but I've yet to see them cut the price on butt. Too darn good, I guess.

Last purchase was Safeway at $0.79/lb. Loaded up! Most of the time I see about $1.79 - $2.49 or so in the stores, but I wait for the sales and stock up. Usually Safeway has a sale periodically for $0.98.

Wow, great response and quite a large difference in prices. Though I distain Wally World and pretty much all it stands for the price difference is substantial. The manager of a restaurant I go to often offered me his club card for a restaurant supplier here in town. I think I'll buy them there, and while I don't know what their price will be just yet I'm guessing it will be quite a bit lower than $2.49/lb.

Sams here is usually about $1.28 I think. I don't think I've ever seen a butt in the regular grocery stores.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shawn244:
Sam as Bruce,
I picked up two in the cryovac for $1.14/lb at sams club last night. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the price at Sam's in WI today.

$1.23 a lb at Wally World.

Wally World and Sam's use the same meat supplier, so no surprise that they're so cheap.

Well, I ended up going to a wholesale restaurant supplier and got Smithfield butts for $0.99/lb. Pretty big suckers too at just shy of 17.5 lbs for the two of them. Biggest problem is that the place isn't open to the public so I need to rely on my manager contact at the restaurant for his card. It doesn't cost him anything so I doubt its a big deal.

I also got 3 racks of Smithfield spares for $1.49/lb and a whole untrimmed brisket for $1.85/lb. Walked out of there with a ton of meat for $65.
icon_smile.gif

I'm going to start cooking the butts Wednesday to finish and pull on Thursday, vacuum bag and freeze. I'll probably do the ribs next and then another overnight for the brisket to be ready by about 3pm on Sunday.

Back