What are u guys doing to restore the chrome coated Weber hood emblems?

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
So I have cleaned up a few Spirit 2 burners lately and it seems all of the Spirits I get in have the chrome covered hood emblem that has chipped down to pot metal. What are u guys doing to restore that emblem for the flippers not the keepers? I just sanded it down and painted it gloss black. It was muted but looked a lot better then a flaking chrome emblem.

I have a spares for many different grills so I will toss them if I do. I guess I haven't had a spare before, but I guess your solution would be best.

So I have cleaned up a few Spirit 2 burners lately and it seems all of the Spirits I get in have the chrome covered hood emblem that has chipped down to pot metal. What are u guys doing to restore that emblem for the flippers not the keepers? I just sanded it down and painted it gloss black. It was muted but looked a lot better then a flaking chrome emblem.
How about some of that silver dimpled paint that was mentioned in another thread. That stuff looked good and was textured to cover imperfections

If you go with a paint, you will need to use a High Heat version. I know Rustoleum has a High Heat Ultra "Aluminum" color.

I did try all silver but it stood out like a sore thumb.....then I removed it and painted it black and it was very acceptable. I suppose I could drill an additional hole and install one of my spare old school emblems on.....the buyer wouldnt give it a second thought. I even tried to hand paint the name Weber in black in the grooves but that was a mess :(

I thought those new ones were made of plastic? I can't see much way of making them look original. Maybe the painting black idea with white and red for the "Weber" and kettle? I think this was another cheap move Weber has made more recently. I like the idea of substituting an older metal one that can be sanded and painted to look like new - better than new with the kettle painted red :coolkettle: !

I did try all silver but it stood out like a sore thumb.....then I removed it and painted it black and it was very acceptable. I suppose I could drill an additional hole and install one of my spare old school emblems on.....the buyer wouldnt give it a second thought. I even tried to hand paint the name Weber in black in the grooves but that was a mess :(
Jim, go with the old school ones. But DO NOT drill an extra hole. YOU don't want to do that to the lid. Don't risk cracking the porcelain and invite a place for rust to destroy your lid. What I suggest and what I use to reattach all the emblems to my lids is Red RTV. It is high temp silicone.
Grab and old school emblem and cut one of the studs off the back and then glob some Red RTV on the back of it and stick it on the grill using the single stud. If you have to take it off at some point in the future, just pry it up. It is just like other silicones that dry flexible.

Back