What are the advantages of foiling the water pan?

Ralph B

Hello All,

Thank you in advance for your assistance. On Sunday I will be trying my first Boston Butt, can someone please explain to me whether or not I should foil the water pan and why? Also could anyone please explain to me how do I let the butt rest after the cook? Thank you for your help, I'm new when it comes to smoking... Ralph.

I would point out that you will not add water to the pan. I also add a clay saucer that fits into the pan, and foil that as well. This is simply for heat retention. As far as resting goes, once you get the meat to pulling temp, foil the meat and put it into a closed container. A plastic cooler works good.

If you're using water than do like Alyssa. If running an empty pan or adding a clay saucer foiling the top prevents the drippings from scorching/burning.
If you don't have a cooler you can rest the butt in a microwave or in the oven (off).
Both are insulated like a cooler.
Good luck on you're first butt!:wsm:

Tim

Thank you everyone for your help. I think I'm going to foil the pan and utilize a clay saucer and see how my butt turns out. Once I've completed the smoking process, I'm going to wrap it in aluminum foil and let it rest in the microwave.

Back