What am I? - looking for help identifying my grill to purchase a cover

Jeff Wagner

I've recently finished restoring a Weber Genesis 1000, at least that's what I've been assuming. Now that the restoration is completed I am looking for a nice grill cover for outside storage. I am struggling to find the right cover and was hoping some folks could point me in the right direction for a nice cover that will fit close to perfect and last plenty of years outside in the sun, snow and rain.

When I was diving through these forums the 1000 looked to only have a wire rack for the bottom shelves. Mine came with the fake wood and made me think maybe this was a 2000 or maybe a 1500? Unfortunately there were no identification numbers or readable stickers when I found the grill on the side of the road. This was my first project and these forums were a huge help through the whole process.

Thank you!

Restoration album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nmSyK3ZTY5AofNKK9

Attachments

• 20230714_162547-COLLAGE.jpg
    20230714_162547-COLLAGE.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 50
Welcome Jeff,

I've learned a lot from reading what's here on the forum and from trying to ID a few I've collected. I'm sure with some effort your grill can be identified within a year or so by finding date codes cast into parts and comparing to product brochures for each of the years with pictures of yours.

I'm going to guess you have a Genesis 1000 Lx from the late 90s. I recall the Lx model had durawood ( plastic wood ), but I could be mistaken.

I've never heard of a Genesis 1500, but I won't' go so far as saying one doesn't exist.

a 2000 has a wider cart like the one below, not mine I just copied a pic from the forum

1695486493637.png

here is an index thread of restorations. You might find a sibling of yours with some details on the year and specific model

Oh, I noticed on your restoration photo you don't have a tank hanger gauge decal. I picked up some from @Jon Tofte here on the forum. He may still have some reproduction decals. Ping him if you are interested.

edit: and nice work on the resto. it looks great!

Looks very nice. This is a common question about covers, I’ve not found the “right” one yet either. I snagged a generic (not very good) one a couple of years ago and since it hasn‘t completely shredded to pieces, it will have to work until I rebuild this frame.

Very nice job on the restoration! That grill is definitely a mid to late 90's Genesis 1000 LX model. My only nitpicks are the igniter switch is mounted backwards and you didn't get a new tank level sticker, both easily corrected. Although I don't use one, a cover for it should be readily available.

Unicook has a nice looking 50" cover that fits the Genesis 1000 well. Showing some signs of wear after a couple of years though.

61u6TfefqML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yep, one thing I have seen is there is no shortage of top quality covers at great pricing on Amazon. Names are unknown and here today and gone tomorrow. But really good quality for the $$$

Unicook has a nice looking 50" cover that fits the Genesis 1000 well. Showing some signs of wear after a couple of years though.

View attachment 79787
I also really like the unicook covers, have one on my Genesis gold, summit 420, summit 600, performer, and the cart I made. I used a griddle cover for the cart. Overall they all seem high quality and very reasonably priced

Like Dan I have the King Kong on a Silver C over 3 years maybe 4 now still in fantastic shape and not faded much if all except for their red logo. The 1000 I gave to my daughter had the newer Weber Cover which after 1 year did not resemble anything black fortunately I had gotten a good deal on it but that would be my last choice.

The other thing with King Kong is they throw you a few utensils which you can see in Dan's link. I use their grill brush and never can have enough tongs. When I bought mine they did not throw in the therm but I have a MK4 so it would not have mattered.

On my recommendation, a friend bought a 55 inch unicook for their E310. It fits well, breathes well however it has faded from the sun and has a small tear where it wore out. That said, for $23 it isn't bad, and they bought a replacement a few weeks ago. The sun combined with heat is rough on covers out here.

Sun and heat in the summer brutal here also certainly why when mine needs to be replaced, does not appear that is anytime soon King Kong will be what I replace it with. The link posted the Kong cover is 42 bucks how long did the unicook last maybe not so much of a bargain at 23 bucks if say it only lasted a few years. For a Weber 3 series the Kong cover is actually slighty less at 40 bucks.

Back