What am I doing Wrong

Chris Sully

TVWBB Member
I am having a terrible time getting my temps up in my 22.5. I am an hour into my cook (4 racks of BB and 2 chickens) and I get the temp past 230 at the dome. even then it is dropping.

Top vent open, bottoms at 60%.

Water in the pan was warm when I put it in.

I used 1 bag of Kingsford Blue bag.

This happened last time too. I had to light another chimney.

Do i need more charcoal to get the temps up?

I had the same issue when I got mine. Try opening your bottom vents all the way and stir your charcoal around a little bit. You may need to get more of it going. The water will keep the temps down some, but you should be able to cruise at 250 What is the weather like, rainy, windy?

If the water was warm when you put it in, you still need to raise the temp of the water as well as the air in the cooker. That is the main reason I don't use water in the pan, I just don't see the need for a heat sink in the WSM. It is very controlable and stable. Also the wind will suck the heat right out of these things, so a wind block is a good idea. Mind you, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with using water if that is your preference, but if you are new to the WSM, maybe give an empty and foiled pan a try and see how it goes.

When doing ribs here in Colorado at 5300 ft. I start by filling the charcoal grate about 2/3 full. Depending on outside weather I add 2/3-full chimney of fully lit coals. Gallon of hot water in the pan. Cover and let it come up to about 200-225. Then I add the ribs. I have all vents 100% open until I reach 225 or so and then I'll back off to 50% on the vents. Top vent is always 100% open. Wind will keep your temps down.

Ditch the water. Foil both sides of the pan. That will help you with the temp. Ditch the K (if possible) and use lump. Lump will cook at a higher temp and barely any ash so you don't need to worry about moving the coals around to break up the ash build up.

I agree that you can still get higher temps with water -- but it may be more difficult especially it you stabilized. I find K somewhat difficult to keep going hot due to all the ash (covering coals and blocking air flow). But you should still be able to reach close to 300*. Without water you can go that high easy and even higher. This is a choice option.

Stir the coals (easy does it, try not to produce flying ash), kick the legs (this is not the same as stirring, open the door, crack the lid, even remove the lid for a few minutes (it's amazing how uninhibited air flow will make those coals GLOW).

To me, you want to keep the cooker temp over 200* by the lid therm (note the "smoking" zone shading), but if you WANT higher heat you may at times have to work for it.

Rich

Is this a problem specific to the 22.5 WSM Cooker? I have an 18.5" WSM, and I don't have any problems maintaining temp. I use the minion method; bottom vents open 100% until I reach target temp. Top vent always open 100%. after I reach operating temp I close the bottom vents down to 1/8 to 1/4 open. I just completed an 13.5 hour smoke at 225 degrees F; pulled pork. I used Kingsford Blue, with a chunk of apple wood. I only stirred the coals once. Held reliable temp through out the cook.

Neal, I have a 22.5 WSM and don't seem to have trouble keeping temps up usually. Wind, or even a breeze can be a problem however. Be creative and set up a wind break for yourself. I do every time I smoke, just to be on the safe side. A little wind can send temps up, or bring them down. I recommend skipping the water in the bowl. A foiled terracotta saucer or a couple fire bricks will do a better job of helping to stabilize temps, even if you want to do those BB at 275-300 or so.

Back