What a disappointment...

Alan D

TVWBB Super Fan
Had a potluck for my company today for our Halloween party. Got up at 5:00am to cook some ribs, and smoked them for almost 5 hours at 250-275.

One rack was spoiled and had a section in the center of the meat which was spoiled in the center. I couldn't tell if something smelled odd or not, but it was definitely spoiled. Since I wasn't sure which the other rack was, and the fact that I cooked them all together, I took all the meat back to Smart & Final and got a refund, dropped by Marie Callendar's and picked up a pie for the pot luck...
icon_frown.gif

Since I bought a tin to take them in to the pot luck, I just put them in there, took them back and got a refund for it also...the checker said, "these smell incredible, you can come over and cook at my house anytime...", wasted about 6 lb of hardwood lump as well...
icon_frown.gif

Spareribs were packed in cryo with a date of Nov. 3rd...I guess it happens...

Hmmm. Did they continue to smell for a while after you opened them and rinsed them off?

Thats a shame.

Better luck next time.

Not really, but when I first opened the cryo I got a whif before I rinsed them, but I smelled the meat and it seemed ok, I probably didn't smell the part that was bad.

This is the second time I have gotten bad ribs at Smart & Final, and my wife said we should buy elsewhere from now on...once about 5 or 6 years ago...they were also Farmer Johns.

However, I have cooked quite a few of them and not had any problem.

When I cut the one slab up, I could see that there was discolor in the center of the meat, it was definitely bad, IMO.

I should have spent the extra $$$s and gone to Whole Foods, but cash ain't so flush these days...

No good deed goes unpunished, I 'spose...:)

No problem, I won't be off the horse too long...I'll get back up and ride off into the sunset...tomorrow's a new day...
icon_biggrin.gif

Good attitude! Just curious, what was the color? You didn't happen to snap any pics did you?

I could be wrong, but I cant imagine spoiled meat not introducing itself quite obviously. I don't think you have to sniff around.

It was kinda grey/brown with a hint of green, or at least looked like that type of spoiled meat to me. Pork usually has a tendency to turn a brownish/grey color...it was interesting that it was only inside the meat, so the outer layer was not discolored.

They didn't even question me, I left them the ribs, and honestly those were probably ok, but I wouldn't chance it at all, not with friends and family. I wouldn't even do that to strangers.
icon_wink.gif
I couldn't eat it myself, so wouldn't serve it to others.

Time wise and energy, it cost me quite a bit to end up with nothing...but that's the way it goes.

Dunno what to say man, but if you think its not worth serving then thats all that matters. I did discover what bad meat smells like, and thats a lesson everyone should learn. I kept trying to tell myself it was ok, but when I had the smoker going and my wife stepped out on the porch and said "something smells funny out here" I knew my delusions were my own. LOL
icon_wink.gif

My question would be, if you could visualy see the parts that you didnt like, or were spoiled, why didnt you save the rest? If I've read correctly over the past year, spoilage in a cryo isn't a food safety issue, just taste/smell. If the meat is stinky, that cannot be "cooked out" but the "things" that can make you sick can be. Honestly I'm still an amatuer when it comes to food safety, but this is what I've picked up. Better luck at the Thanksgiving potluck man
icon_wink.gif
Keep on keepin on!

Brandon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
My question would be, if you could visualy see the parts that you didnt like, or were spoiled, why didnt you save the rest? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know, I wouldn't feel good about it having been in the same cryo with another slab. It was obvious that the meat was starting to spoil, why risk it? I made my wife throw everything out, all the trimmings, everything.

You could be right that there is no harm, but that type of stuff can play havoc on your mind, at least it does with me.
icon_wink.gif
As it is, it was only my pride, so not such a big deal.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
Better luck at the Thanksgiving potluck man
icon_wink.gif
Keep on keepin on! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, it's actually pretty empty from TG to NYs, most people tack on vacation with the holidays. We only have 2 potlucks a year, Halloween and Mardi Gras. I'll wait until then. I'll be sure to get some quality meat.
icon_biggrin.gif

You should start a TG potluck man
icon_wink.gif
Its comming right up, say hey, I'm bringing a bunch of ribs for TG, what are you bringing? Redemption is at hand!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Brandon

Alan you did the right thing for sure. It's not worth it to have someone sick. Sometimes cryoed meat gets a hole in it or doesn't seal quite right but it happens. I've had stuff leak air that I have vacuum sealed at home and I just toss it. At least you were aware of the problem at acted accordingly. You did your part. Good job and on to the next smoke.

Robert,

Was a disappointment, but I feel I did the right thing also...I take pride in the food I pull off my grill, and others deserve only the best.

Heck, I feel bad if I overcook the food, let alone serve it possibly spoiled.

Will pay closer attention next time, you can bet on that...I have had it happen a few times, this is the first that it slipped by until after it was cooked, but at least I caught it before serving...I would have really felt much worse had I not caught it until after I served, or worse if someone spotted it and pointed it out to me....as I said, it was only my pride that was hurt...taking a pre-made pie from Marie Callendar's...life could be worse though...
icon_wink.gif

Back