Wet Brined Turkey Breast

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I put my trust in @Brett-EDH with this one..... 5% overnight brine, 230-250 until 160, then wrapped tight and fridged (like in HIS POST)! This was a ~4+lb, bone-in breast from Wild Fork, and took about 4.5 hours to reach the 160 mark. We'll see how we did tomorrow!

Dusted with rub, and just on the grill....

1729551472303.jpeg

After 4.5 hours....

1729551493287.jpeg

Wrapped and ready to chill out....

1729551514064.jpeg

Seems easy enough, and smelled good. I could see this being a repeat cook for a nice pile of protein for the week! I'll be back tomorrow! :)

Thanks, Brett.

R

Ok, I got the breasts separated from the bone, and sliced one of them up (will freeze the other.) TASTY! Should keep me in sandwiches for the week! Thanks for posting your cook, @Brett-EDH !

Boned out breasts....

View attachment 102460

Sliced up....

View attachment 102461
you done did that right. that looks awesome! lmk if the notes need any flushing out. the goal is to make all the cooks highly replicable. now i'm hungry for lunch.

you done did that right. that looks awesome! lmk if the notes need any flushing out. the goal is to make all the cooks highly replicable. now i'm hungry for lunch.
Thanks, Brett! I wrote in my notes that I'd like to try it next time with maybe 90 minutes of smoke on "LOW" on my RecTeq, then boost it to 350 to finish. I didn't get the juicy finish that I'd really like from this cook, and want to see if I can enhance that with a quicker cook. Experimentation is all part of the fun!

Your method as described produces a super tasty end result that I'm really happy with......just want to try some tweaks to mod a bit to my taste.

Thanks again!

R

Thanks, Brett! I wrote in my notes that I'd like to try it next time with maybe 90 minutes of smoke on "LOW" on my RecTeq, then boost it to 350 to finish. I didn't get the juicy finish that I'd really like from this cook, and want to see if I can enhance that with a quicker cook. Experimentation is all part of the fun!

Your method as described produces a super tasty end result that I'm really happy with......just want to try some tweaks to mod a bit to my taste.

Thanks again!

R
i'd recco going bone out pre cook. i found that when the protein is separate from the bone, the heat penetrates the meat better and more consistently. you could also dial down your "done" temp to 155F and then wrap in cling wrap. you'll still pick up 5 degrees on the rest which should aid in more moisture. my poultry breast done time is now 155F, consistently and i've had good success. one more tweak is go to 6% salinity in water AND add some apple juice concentrate to that brine.

thanks for tagging me in your cook. always looking to learn and gather feedback.

i do have a GF DF clam chowder coming up this week if we dip below 70F outside. hopefully that'll be worth sharing; if it's good :)

i'd recco going bone out pre cook. i found that when the protein is separate from the bone, the heat penetrates the meat better and more consistently. you could also dial down your "done" temp to 155F and then wrap in cling wrap. you'll still pick up 5 degrees on the rest which should aid in more moisture. my poultry breast done time is now 155F, consistently and i've had good success. one more tweak is go to 6% salinity in water AND add some apple juice concentrate to that brine.

thanks for tagging me in your cook. always looking to learn and gather feedback.

i do have a GF DF clam chowder coming up this week if we dip below 70F outside. hopefully that'll be worth sharing; if it's good :)
Dang....more experiments! :)

I'm a New England Clam Chowder guy, so DF would be rough......I don't turn down the Manhattan style, just prefer the white stuff. I'll keep an eye out for that one!

Dang....more experimentsI'm a New England Clam Chowder guy, so DF would be rough......I don't turn down the Manhattan style, just prefer the white stuff. I'll keep eye out for that one!
coconut cream and milk, you'll never know. i have to check my saved recipes. i've pulled this one off before. i use the potatoes as the thickening agent. and maybe there's some bacon in it too. i did post my manhattan a few weeks back if you're into it. that one was very good.

So Mark halved his and Rich didn't.
I like having both versions with pics for comparison. ( I have one ready to go )
Nice job men!
Mine actually came this way (boneless and skin on). My local grocery store had these for $2.18/lb. I’ve never heard
of this brand but at that price I bought 3 because I love turkey. It turned out way better than I thought it would. I went back to buy more, but they were out. They only had about 12 of these on the first day of the sale and none on the last day of the sale. If I ever see these again, I’ll fill the freezer with them.
1729632626741.jpeg

Last edited:

Back