Well... That sucked

Chris Peisher

Fired up the grill this morning and put a brisket on a few hours later. Coals kept going out no matter how hard the fan blew. This really sucks. I wasnt at home so had to keep bugging my wife to go out and relight the coals, finally said to heck with it and had her put it in the oven so we could eat sometime tonight before midnight. Kinda ****ed.

https://imgur.com/a/kTWhO

Any chance your charcoal got wet (or soaked up some humidity?) I had a whole bag that had a hard time staying lit (horizontal offset, I see you have a Kamado style,) and wasn't unhappy to get rid of it.

The outside off the bag was wet when I went out there this morning, but the charcoal itself seemed dry when i poured it into the grill. But it could have been wet, or maybe it wasn't doing something else properly. I don't really know, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the heater meter, cause it seemed to be doing everything right. The grill, the charcoal, or the way i loaded it failed. My bottom charcoal grate failed last week so I've got it put in there in pieces holding the charcoal off the bottom, but i don't know if that collapsed or what. Really seemed like the fan was blowing cold air right around the lit coals the whole time.

I'm using a WSM 18.5 but I've noticed in the cold I have to start more in the chimney. Let it get going a little with the vents open and when it gets to about 225 for a 250 deg cook I shut them down and start the HM. Seems to work for me. But I don't have an XL.

I was having troubles getting to 250 constant without dipping until I started doing this. In the warmer weather I just let the HM do its thing

Back