Well Done Steaks

all the ladies in my family like red meat cooked well done. their preference shouldnt anger me but it does.

like others said i cook skirt/flank for carne asada tacos and fajitas for the silly delicate wenches.

the good steaks medium rare for the men.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. My FIL is 75 and an ex-Marine. There will be no changing his steak choice. We once left a wonderful restaurant in Portland, ME for his daughter's law school graduation because there was no beef on the menu. This was a lovely restaurant that she had selected. As soon as the menu was looked at, 10 of us got up and went across the street.

I'm inclined to give the man what he wants. He has certainly earned the right to eat overcooked meat, if that makes him happy.

I know well-done can still be juicy, I just want to make certain I get there. I was taught well-done still has a line of pink through the center. I've just never gone that far.
icon_smile.gif

This has been a fun read.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RDOwens:
I'm inclined to give the man what he wants. He has certainly earned the right to eat overcooked meat, if that makes him happy.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cooking for other people is ALL about giving them what they want and will like. Good for you.

Well done is simple, but not necessarily easy. Using a relatively low temperature and cooking just long enough is about the best you can do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brady martin:
all the ladies in my family like red meat cooked well done. their preference shouldnt anger me but it does.

like others said i cook skirt/flank for carne asada tacos and fajitas for the silly delicate wenches.

the good steaks medium rare for the men. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL They sure are.

It angers me too. LOL I mean really...ANGERS me. If someone wants a piece of shoe leather, I'm inclined to get them a cut of meat that isn't a strip, or other good piece of meat. I'd be happy to scorch a piece of sirloin for them though.

I eat rare to med rare everything BUT !!!! I will NOT eat any hamburger I didn't personaly grind or see ground anything but med well ateast . If I grind it then med rare or rare is fine .

Whole lot of hate in this thread for well done. The notion that a steak can't be cooked "properly" and be well done is ridiculous. Preferred doneness is a matter of taste. I prefer my steaks with the hooves and horns knocked off and walked through the kitchen on the way to my plate.

That being said, you can properly cook a well done steak. Sear on each side to get a great flavor crust, then bake till well done. Most importantly let the steak rest at the end and it will be juicy and delicious albeit not as tender as something done rare or MR.

Ripping people for preferring WD over MR is like saying someone is an idiot because he liked green over blue or the Cardinals over the Yankees.

It's personal preference on their part, don't make it personal on your part.

Well stated Scott!
Sometimes our passions get the best of the best of us.

Like the following:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd be happy to scorch a piece of sirloin for them though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hayden them's fightin' words!
icon_mad.gif

I love sirloin, cooked med. rare of course!
icon_biggrin.gif

I think the reason people get so worked up over this is that both camps are hellbent on their opinion and cannot be swayed. The majority of well done people absolutely refuse to eat anything less than well done. Won't even try it. Cringe at the thought. And they let it be known that they don't want blood on their plate. I think a lot of people who prefer well-done meat are pre-programmed to order it this way because they've never had anything different. If it's what they grew up eating, it's likely what they'll prefer in life. Maybe I'm overgeneralizing here, but that's been my observation.

My friends and family know that I enjoy grilling and smoking as a hobby, so why would I recommend medium-rare if it wasn't fantastic? I absolutely still cook a steak to their preference, but it knocks my ego down a little when they pass right over my recommendation and won't even give it a shot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Wicker:
I think the reason people get so worked up over this is that both camps are hellbent on their opinion and cannot be swayed. The majority of well done people absolutely refuse to eat anything less than well done. Won't even try it. Cringe at the thought. And they let it be known that they don't want blood on their plate. I think a lot of people who prefer well-done meat are pre-programmed to order it this way because they've never had anything different. If it's what they grew up eating, it's likely what they'll prefer in life. Maybe I'm overgeneralizing here, but that's been my observation.

My friends and family know that I enjoy grilling and smoking as a hobby, so why would I recommend medium-rare if it wasn't fantastic? I absolutely still cook a steak to their preference, but it knocks my ego down a little when they pass right over my recommendation and won't even give it a shot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a great point Dan. It's programmed into them somehow, whether that's the way their dad did it, or they never knew how to cook it any different or they would prefer medium but undercooked it a few times and decided that there is no way to screw up overcooking, or whatever.

My FiL is a classic example. He practically tanned the meat for years. First time I had my eventual in laws over, along with my parents, I grilled steaks and showed the guy the principles. Sear, bake, rest, serve. He's a very irascible old guy that won't change his ways for anything, but he was also meeting my parents for the first time so I knew I had him so I served him a medium steak knowing that he wouldn't make a donkey out of himself and refuse it.

As we sat down to eat he said, "let's see if you know what the <heck> you are talking about." My future MiL was ecstatic as for the last 30 years the only place she had a rare of MR steak was at a restaurant. So he eats the entire steak and doesn't say a word. He leans back in his chair and says, "the <heck> you don't know what you are talking about." For my FiL that's a compliment. He went on to say, "that's one of the best steaks I have ever eaten."

Fast forward a couple of years. After showing my FiL how to cook steaks maybe 4 times, everyone is still scrambling for the Worcestershire or BBQ sauce when he grills them as he flips them over with a fork and tans them on the grill. My MiL would tell him that dinner would be ready at 7, but 30 minutes before the steaks are to go on she would hand me the platter and the tongs and whisper, "go make the steaks. I want mine rare."

He got wise to this pretty quick and would head me off. I just went with the flow. No way was I arguing with either of them. The last time that happened was on my MiL's birthday a couple years ago. He turns her steak into shoe leather and she lets him have it at the table. "Either cook them right, GD, or let Scott do it. I'm sick of these <lousy> steaks you've been serving for 30 Fing years."

My FiL is 6' 5". My MiL is 5'4" and in a back brace from when she broke it a few months prior. No one said a word or made eye contact for the rest of the meal. Everyone helped do the dishes so we could all get out of there as fast as possible. Took him another year to get it down but now he can actually cook a good steak now. Sear, bake, rest, serve (and no meat forks to turn them).

After all that, one of his son's, my BiL, still asks for his to be cooked well done. And when my FiL or I cook steaks we cook one well done for Brian, and the cycle repeats...

Why would it be a knock to your ego, Dan? I mean, it's not like someone insulted your mother. My wife won't eat anything with a speck of pink in it so I cook her steak to well done and then for about 5 more minutes. She's happy as a clam. I think she's nuts but what momma wants, momma gets.

I disagree also with the idea that people will prefer what they grew up with. My mom cooked steaks into oblivion but I like mine medium.

I had no idea this was a more sensitive topic than foiling so this is fascinating. I hope nobody out there cooks their steak to medium well and then foils to well done or the message board might explode
icon_smile.gif

Jerry,

I don't disagree that some folks are going to buck what their folks cooked them. My dad crucified a lot of steaks in his time both on the grill and with WAAAYYYY too much minced onion and black pepper. Now he liked them MR to M and I take mine bloody. But it's part of it for some people. Sort of like the nature vs nurture debate. It's not completely one or the other but both have an impact.

And yeah, I used to be on the radical side that no steak should ever be served more than M. I used to be a jerk about it. But it's not my taste preference, it's theirs. It's like someone calling me an idiot because I don't like fried okra. I hate okra, but that doesn't mean others can't like it...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry P.:
Why would it be a knock to your ego, Dan? I mean, it's not like someone insulted your mother. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because they won't even try it my way. I put a lot of time, effort, love, and money into cooking this stuff. Not that my way is the ONLY way, but just try it. I'm pretty good with grilling, and I wouldn't steer anyone wrong.
icon_smile.gif

I would compare this situation to driving a Ferrari for the weekend. I'd recommend taking the car up to the north Georgia mountains and tackling the twisties, enjoying the sweet sound of an Italian V12. But if your preference is to sit in bumper-to-bumper downtown Atlanta traffic with it, feel free.
icon_smile.gif

Making someone squeamish to eating a med-rare steak actually eating a rare steak is like taking a bag full of cow blood and shoving it down your throat. They don't want to, they don't want to.

No means no.
icon_biggrin.gif
They've probably tried it your way, and they don't like it. My family eats raw blood soup. Tiet canh. Would you guys eat it? I'm sure a lot of you would. I'm also sure a lot of rare steak eaters won't touch the stuff.

http://www.xuvn.com/foodofviet...%20food/tietcang.jpg

It's just preference. I'd stay away from the cheaper cuts if going med-well (most people who ask for well done are happy with med-well slightly pink as long as no red, at least that's what I find). Also firmer cuts like ny/strip/tbones as well. Those firm up pretty **** well when cooked past medium rare. Ribeyes and filets for my "well done" guests.

George i am sorry but skirt steak is alot better than tri tip especially angus skirt steak

How a person eats may have a little to do with how they were raised but IMHO not much ! my mom and dad use to raise us on everthing cooked extreme well done . My moms idea of steak when I was growing upwas cube steak flowered salt and peppered and fried and then country milk gravy made on the drippings and the steak cook some more in the gravy served with eggs and fried taters .
As I got out and about in the world I learned diffrent things I never had a real steak until I was 18 and I ate it the way it was served I belive it was med Iam now 55 . I loved it and since then have never ate cooked or ordered a steak past M RARE .
But IF I invite a guest to my home for dinner I treat them with respect and as a famous WRITER USE TO SAY A GUEST IS JEWEL RESTING ON A CUSHION OF HOSPIALTY. So if they ask for there steak well done with maple syrup thats what they get !

UNLESS I was to invite them to come and eat RARE steaks at my home . But then they would know not to come UNLESS they were going to eat a RARE steak .

Hard to belive there are such strong feelings about how a guest at ones home must eat there meat LOL .

By the way I don't foil ribs either
icon_eek.gif
And I wouldn't be caught dead in sushi bar But I will eat a tuna steak med rare go figure
icon_biggrin.gif
My moto is like what you eat eat what you like
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I also think Hi heat cooking is blaspamie on a smoker
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I roll low and slow you roll how you want to .

Now back to cooking Q and your regular programing
icon_smile.gif

My wife's preference when she was younger was, as she described it, "Make it like a hockey puck". Mostly it was a texture thing, and at some point she realized she was actually OK with medium well and it results in a lot less arguing in restaurants and being given some crappy piece of meat so they don't waste a good one by overcooking it.

Back