Well Done Steaks

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan
I love my wife and her family. The only flaw I have found is that they all like their beef cooked well done.

We are hosting a get-together. We're planning on having T-bones. How does one go about properly cooking to well-done? I suspect my usual 1 to 1.5" cuts are going to be left behind in favor of thinner cuts.

I appreciate the help.

My wife had a aunt like that ! Then she got a taste of RARE prime rib !! There was no turning back I swear one a these days we will see her chasing a cow with a steak knife and a fork in a field
icon_biggrin.gif

As to what to do until or if they ever change thinner cuts and cookem done is bout all you can do .

My wife and her family are the same way. I refuse to destroy good cuts of meat so I only use cheap cuts for anything that must be cooked well done.
Just last night I had a whole tri tip (med rare) to myself and another friend while I charred up some very thin cuts of carne asada (skirt steak)for the rest of the family.

You guys are AWESOME!
I'll NEVER forget when one of liz' friends came over and brought some guy with her...
I had SPECTACULAR bone-in ribeyes and <span class="ev_code_GREY">he</span> wanted his well-done.
I've never made a steak (or ANYTHING) well-done.
And I had to DESTROY this ribeye for a complete stranger.
I should have offer beef jerky as an appetizer.
I did hear a few days later that he told liz' friend that it was the best steak he ever had.
Butt it did not make me feel too much better.
Good luck with YOUR grillin' Mr. Owens.

You know, my mother in-law is that way. And I've got a few friends too (although they aren't top tier friends since they eat a well done steak).

So either I know in advance and cook something else. Or, better yet, I'll cook it medium at most, and act surprised when they cut into it. Tough it out, bud.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We're planning on having T-bones. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, and RD, pick something else. George L's strategy sounds good.

I have cooked an obnoxious number of steaks ordered to " well done". When you get down to it... Most of them just want to guarantee they won't see or taste any blood. I usually feel them out to see what they are looking for.

Use a meat thermometer to cook just to the edge of med well, rest, and cut into it to confirm no blood if you have too. Reverse sear works well. I like to set up my grill with the fire under a little over half the grill.

The biggest thing is to REDUCE THE ROOM LIGHTING while you eat. I am always just very direct. I guarantee there will be no blood, and that they will get a tender, juicy, flavorful steak.... But I can't guarantee every bit of pink COLOR be cooked out. It's red meat, sometimes it stays a little red no matter how long you cook it. Even brisket holds on to some pink color at times. I also reassure that I cooked to the exact temp they wanted.

After having one of my steaks, a lot of people trust me the next time and just say. "make me a good steak and I don't like blood". Next thing you know, they are in love with med steaks. (baby steps)

Just don't give up. You won't change anybody, but you can still cook them a very good steak.... Especially good compared to what they usually get if they're running around ordering well-done steaks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Guy Wallace:
My wife had a aunt like that ! Then she got a taste of RARE prime rib !! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My family too until they tried it. My youngest daughter now orders nothing but rare prime rib ... even when we're having burgers.
icon_wink.gif
My wife still doesn't want anything less than medium so I trade her my end-pieces for her centers.

Agree - go with thinner cuts for them, thicker cuts for you.

Give them the Tbones, just cook them a bit longer. Let them eat them the way they like them. If you give them a lesser thinner cut they'll call you cheap
icon_smile.gif

My son in law will only eat well done beef so I have quit cooking prime cuts for him. If he wants steak, I will only cook flank steak and will cut off a portion for him (the end pieces)when I remove the steaks for everyone else. I continue to cook those pieces to well done while the other meat is "resting"and serve it to him without the resting period so everyone eats at the same time.

Ray

Ouch, tough spot to be in! I don't cook any steaks to well, friend or foe. The friends that eat their meat that way just get something else. One girl, who I love to death, has at least been converted to medium(+) but its no longer well done. One time, I made a GORGEOUS tri-tip, not knowing her meat preference, and this sucker was medium rare if you looked it from a certain angle, or, it was just rare, but wow, it was excellent. She nearly fell off her chair when I sliced it. So, I sliced it like I always do, then put her slices back on the grill for about 8 seconds per side, a viola! no more red. She gobbled it up like a timberwolf on a titmouse. But, my general rule is that good steaks are not going to be wasted on people that don't appreciate them.

My girlfriend used to be the same way. Her family still is the same way. I cook my burgers to preferably med rare for me and about medium for her. She has now gotten to the point where she will accept a little pink in her burger and she absolutely loves my burgers. Her dad still annihilates his burgers and makes them well done. She was complaining to me a while back how she now thinks her dad's burgers are like hockey pucks! LMAO!

She doesnt like steak anyway so Im in the clear on that one. When her family comes to visit I just cook some of my world famous pork loin.

In that situation just use a meat thermometer and cook it to the edge of med-well. Most people just fear red blood and pink on their plates.

Can't say I've done a well steak. If you're wanting to accomidate them and still try to present your best product I'd probably try something like a brine or marinade first to try to keep it moist. Thinner cuts sound good, certainly left out to warm up to room temp. I don't know if fat content would work with you to keep it moist or if it would just leave a fatty nasty cut of meat. Maybe a thin slice of chuck steak? If flat iron is cheap in your area, it might be a good candidate too.

My Father in law does this. I haven't ever cooked him a steak, but I'd be in a tough spot if I did. He always cooks them well done. My wife grew up thinking that steak was just nasty stuff by it's nature. Now, medium is her preference. Mine, too. It's not the bloodiness of rare that gets me, it's the meat's texture. I can understand people not wanting to see blood, but not wanting to see any pink in a steak is just wrong. You end up eating shoe leather.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RDOwens:
I love my wife and her family. The only flaw I have found is that they all like their beef cooked well done.

We are hosting a get-together. We're planning on having T-bones. How does one go about properly cooking to well-done? I suspect my usual 1 to 1.5" cuts are going to be left behind in favor of thinner cuts.

I appreciate the help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>"Properly cooking a steak to well-done" is an oxymoron - it can't be. Could it be they simply haven't had a steak cooked well (as opposed to well-done) - i.e. seasoned properly a cooked to a nice medium rare?

My daughter's husband (just celebrated 1st anniversary) like his steaks well-done when he first started dating her. I was cooking steaks one day and wouldn't do it, gave him medium-rare. Being a strapping young man of 18 at the time, he did what I would have done - ate it and everything else on his plate (or on the table for that matter) and found out it was MUCH better. He's never gone back.

I've dealt with the well done problem in various ways over the years
icon_rolleyes.gif
and have made some observations:

A) Most folks who say well done, don't know what it means and will all accept medium, declaring it the best steak ever!
icon_wink.gif

B) Never ask people how they want their steak done, if they are knowledgeable, or, if they care they'll tell ya ... either way refer to A) above.
icon_biggrin.gif

C) If ya need ta make minor adjustment later, nuke it a tad.
icon_eek.gif

D) Finally, my preference for a gathering of folks with diverse tastes is Chateau Briand ... a whole beef tenderloin cooked to medium rare in the thickest part will yield plenty of meat in the medium and beyond medium range. Serve it whole on a platter but sliced into 1/4 inch medallions... each can select the doneness they prefer & it'll all be GREAT!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif
icon_cool.gif
A little bernaise sauce and chopped parsley add a nice finish.

I don't get the hostility on this one. If someone wants to eat a well done steak, so be it. It's not an insult to your cooking ability and you're not the one who has to eat it so why do you care how done it is? Sheesh.

I forgot to add to my original reply that it's also cultural. For the most part, certain cultures just don't cook their meat less than well done.

Oh and it also probably wouldn't hurt to educate the person that any red juice isn't blood. Many people seem uninformed about that.

Back