welded me some cast iron

Tim Brisson

TVWBB Member
Anybody had the misfortune of breaking a piece of the grill grate while doing a clean and flip? If you know someone who welds, there is an easy to use welding rod that flows well and doesn't have issues with uneven heating of the grate (so far). The rod is called (Nomaloy) and is made by Hobart. It saved me from replacing the grates on my latest project. And was a fun learning experience.

Attachments

• Weber cast iron grate repairs.jpg
    Weber cast iron grate repairs.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 23
A repair like that isn't a big deal in the cast iron world, but yeah, proper rod selection is a good idea. Big secret is a high nickel content. It's not like those grates are structural. If you're nervous about cracking the grates, an preheat in a 300-400 F oven for 20-30 minutes. A post heat is also a good idea in that case.

Like any other welding, clean, clean clean. Grind out what you're welding to a good smooth surface, no undercuts, cracks, etc. Clean off any grease, oil, seasoning, etc. with solvents (be VERY careful using chlorinated brake cleaners on hot surfaces or where you're going to immediately weld, you get something like phosgene, *VERY* toxic.) You want clean metal as much as possible for a good weld.

This would be fun with a high nickel filler rod and a gas torch.

Back