Weekend Report

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
All the family is gone for the weekend. Great time to do the Piedmont Water Pan mod. If you haven't read about it, you should. It makes a lot of sense. Went to outdoor super store to buy a brinkmann charcoal pan. ooops. I did not read closely enough. The mod calls for two brinkmann pans!
Proceeded with a traditional water pan cook. I did not buy butts-I think these were shank end shoulders? After reading Chris' excellent article on pork cuts, I determined these were indeed PICNICS. All the thick skin was trimmed off prior to cook. Also, cooked a large packer.
I have chosen my last two cooks to prep my packer in what is unusual to me. I trim off the thin part of the flat, about 1/3 of it. The thin flat I lay on top of the rest of the brisket. The thin 1/3 cooks quickest. An hour or so later, I separate the rest of the flat for it's rest and, finally, the the fatty point gets another hour or so. The two flats rested with apple jelly in foil for two hours. The point and two pork shoulders are resting as we speak.
The apple jelly has worked well to balance the 4-Pepper rub.
The thin flat cooked on top of the rest of the brisket seems to stay nice and moist.
Later today I'll pick up that second pan for the Piedmont mod-thanks to Mike for this mod.
Almost forgot, I added a fattie for an hour or so...
How was your week end cook?

No tales of culinary derring-do to report from this newbie--just a couple of chickens. BUT try to remember what it was like the very first time you pulled something out of the smoker and heard everyone ooh and ahh. That was MY weekend!

- Keith "Don't call me Cherry"

P.S. The chickens just happened to be dusted with your 4 Pepper Rub /w Fennel. Nice.

Keith congratulations on the ,"ooh and ahs"!
It took me a few cooks to keep from over doing the smoke on chicken and turkey too now that I think of it.

Back