Weekend BBQ (with pics I hope)

Josh Z.

TVWBB Pro
Hola,

This last weekend I cooked up a storm! I cooked a 2 butts over brisket using guava with a little bit of hickory. Very delicous. Brisket took 17 hours and the Butts took about 19.

Once the butts came off I removed the middle section and removed the brinkman pan and added an empty weber water pan. Then I loaded up a starter and a half of burnign coals and added some guava wood to the mix. This was a fresh start becuase I had almost nothing left by the end of the butts. At this point I added some brined chicken wings and cooked them at 300-325. They took just about and hour to cook.

The Brisket was a big hit (no one including me had ever had it) both the chopped and point and sliced flat went over well. I only got a picture of the left overs. The butts were good as always and the chicken was crisp and delicous... perfect amount of smoke and the guava made them golden brown.

I'm hoping this link works.. first try
Weekend BBQ

Thanks for everybodies tips on makign this possible.

Josh

Rick,

I used Basic Turkey Brine for about an hour and fifteen minutes

The guava I got from Guave Wood Farms . It is real nice quality chunks and it got here real fast.. I belive Greg Kemp advertises it as Guava in Three Days. I'm impressed with the results.

Hope that helps,
Josh

that ring is great looking! what ratio of wood mix did you use, half and half?

Looks yummy! I did 4 racks of spares and 4 halfcocked chickens today for the family.

Aloha!

Greg Kemp

Nice job Josh. That brisket looks fantastic! Next time try cooking the point an additional 4-6 hours, then cut up into cubes and mix with sauce for burnt ends. That's good eating!

Hmm Josh i went to that place that sells the guava wood. It looks like it cost $15 for them to send you some wood. They don't say anywhere how much they send you. Do you really get much wood at all for $15?

thanks,
Brent

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brent W.:
I went to that place that sells the guava wood. It looks like it cost $15 for them to send you some wood. They don't say anywhere how much they send you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I ordered a box a couple of months ago, but have not yet used any.

The shipping label says 11 lbs. I just weighed the box on an electronic kitchen scale, and the whole box weighs 8 lbs. 9 ounces. Maybe the wood lost some moisture while sitting around the last few months?

The box alone weighs 7-1/2 ounces.

Regards,
Chris

I ordered some of the guava a few months ago, and I really do like it. Good quality wood, nice size chunks too. I also use the Guava-Hickory mix on my smokes. The food looks great Josh.

Paul J.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brent W.:
Hmm Josh i went to that place that sells the guava wood. It looks like it cost $15 for them to send you some wood. They don't say anywhere how much they send you. Do you really get much wood at all for $15?

thanks,
Brent </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brent... Look at the Smoking Wood link on that page. It ways that wood is shipped in 10 lb. boxes. I just ordered some to try it.

I used mostly quava probably 3-4 good sized chunks with 3-4 small to sliver sized chunks of hickory. Mostly quava.. a little hickory. I'll pay more attention next time. Twas delicous.

Wood was advertised as 10 pounds..but I didn't weigh it to be sure. The box was jammed full and the chunks are of nice quality. It will take me awhile to get through it and it did come in record time.

Hope that helps,
Josh

Thanks Josh for the pics and feedback! I really appreciate!
icon_smile.gif

I personally pack all the boxes now to make sure they ARE packed with OVER 10 lbs. of wood. Awhile back I was paying my 13 year old son to pack them as I instructed. I watched him do one and it was fine. I didn't watch the rest of them getting packed. He did about 6 more boxes and called it quits. I was paying him $1.00 per box to chunk and pack! I believe Chris got one of his poorly packed boxes which obviously reduced the weight. Chris, I'll be happy to send you another box (no charge) packed by ME (as I do all my own cutting, chunking and boxing myself now)
Just let me know when you have used up that box and your replacement will be there. Please weigh it when it gets there! Sorry about that!

Aloha!

Greg Kemp
icon_eek.gif

Hi all,

I edited my post above to remove any implication that Greg had short-changed my box of guava wood. I did not mean to imply that, and if I did by a poor choice of words, I apologize for that.

The box was full to the top when I opened it in mid-May. I placed it on a shelf in my garage quite close to the hot water heater, and it's been sitting there ever since--I have not yet had a chance to use any of it. When I saw the above post asking about weight, I went out to the garage with my trusty electronic scale and weighed my box, and found it weighs 8 pounds, 9 ounces, including the box.

My guess is that as seasoned as the wood might have been when leaving Hawaii, it has dried out considerably more during the 2-1/2 months it's been sitting in my warm, non-humid garage in California, and that accounts for the shrinkage, not any shorting caused by Greg or his son. I want to make sure that Greg's son's reputation is not tarnished by all this.
icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I just want to make it clear to all that I don't believe I was short-changed, and didn't mean to imply that. If you order this product, you'll get what you paid for.

Regards,
Chris

Back