Weberitis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne_R

TVWBB All-Star
Well, I finally picked up my "new to me" 18" oldie redhead I found last week on CL. Has some issues, but looking to fix up like Shaun R's.

Be a work in progress and my wife probably think I'm nuts, but, well, I am. I got Weberitis.

Here are some pics:

On the way home

weber18home.jpg

Out of the truck "Striking a Pose"!

weber18.jpg

weber182.jpg

webertruck.jpg

webertruck2.jpg

Anyone to hazard a guess as to age? I'm guessing 80s by the design of the wheels?

Can't find any mark on the dampers...

i see nothing wrong. its red, it has a wood handle and its a three wheeler. its all good. wouldn't mind having it. whats the letter on the top wheel ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
whats the letter on the top wheel ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is pretty dirty and can't make one out or see one? Any recommendations on a cleaner for these aluminum dampers?

Looks great! I think it will clean up nicely. An 18"er in red is a great find. You can clean the dampers with 409 and some 0000 steel wool. I did it on an old brownie I came across and it turned out pretty nice.

Good luck, post some pics of the progress

Wayne,nice score!
And there are a LOT worse diseases you could have besides Weberitis! One question. Where did you get the Weber sticker on the window of your truck? I could do with one of those!

Scott, thanks for info.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Wayne,nice score!
And there are a LOT worse diseases you could have besides Weberitis! One question. Where did you get the Weber sticker on the window of your truck? I could do with one of those! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am fortunate enough to be a local Weber dealer. These are actually window decals that you can pull on and off your "storefront" window. I only have 2 (one for my storefront and one for my truck). If I get any more, I will let you know.

One more question, did the metal handles on the side once have wood? There are no holes??

That's a real winner Wayne! I think you should display it for a while in the store after it's looking sweet. Maybe Weber will catch on. I bet people will be trying to buy it.
icon_eek.gif

That's a real nice find, give it the TLC it deserves and it will last you a long time. And if ever you decide to part ways with it, I CALL DIBS FIRST!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
(Still on the hunt for mine.) As for the age, take a look at the top vent. If it says Pat. Pending, then it's pre Nov. 1970. If it just shows a Pat. No., then it's from the 70's. If it has a Pat. No. and a date code then you'll know the age. Judging from the handle description, I'm pretty sure it not from the 80's. Have fun with the rehab and bless you for saving this one from the scrape pile. And like Scott said, "post some pics of the progress".

Thanks all and thanks Shaun for your advice in the email you sent.

I took apart yesterday and did a prelim. cleaning. We'll see how far I get into it (I really want to fire her up
icon_smile.gif
)

Gonna invest in an ash catcher and a new cooking grid.

Mac thanks for info. There is a Pat. No. on it, but I cannot see a date code. I'm gonna try to give it a better cleaning and see if I can get some more of the gunk off of it to see if there is one.

Thanks again all and try to post pics of the after and get her fired up!!

Very nice pick-up Wayne (both the truck AND the Weber)
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm gonna try to give it a better cleaning and see if I can get some more of the gunk off of it to see if there is one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't bother lookin', you will not find one. I'm certain this kettle was manufactured before '79.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Very nice pick-up Wayne (both the truck AND the Weber)

Don't bother lookin', you will not find one. I'm certain this kettle was manufactured before '79. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Jim. Other than my VW Thing, I am a Ford guy.

Your correct on the date code. None to be found so I guess it is a 70ish 18.5 Red Head!

Now I just need a name for her
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne_R:
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Redhead. 70s.

I'm thinking Heather Cox

medium_heather.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne_R:
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would suggest "Natalie Rushman" or "Natasha Romanoff" - Both excruciatingly hot, kind-of petite, red-heads. (At least they are in MY book - Look 'em up or see Iron Man 2 ;-P )

Sorry George. I like them both
icon_smile.gif

Anyways, here is updated pics after a good cleaning, touching up, and new grates and wheels. Probably order the ash catcher soon online. Also I just painted bottom wire rack with some silver paint I had lying around after scrubbing and bending back into place. Nothing like Shaun's, but it looks good enough for me.

Now for the inaugural cook on Thursday
icon_biggrin.gif

reddydone3.jpg

reddydone.jpg

reddydone2.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
What are you planning to cook? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still deciding, but I'm leaning towards Roadside Chicken. Simple but very good. Maybe some asparagus or other sides too on the grill!!

Yep, that looks awesome. Nice job Wayne. I'd say go with the roadside chicken for the inaugural cook, that's a winner everytime!
icon_biggrin.gif
That was my first cook for the 26", "chief" (brownie)when I got it and cleaned it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back