Weber Weekend....

Dave Hutson

TVWBB Super Fan
Three nice porterhouse steaks with Texas BBQ Rub Steak Blend ,baked taters, grilled asparagus ans bolo rolls tonight. Butts with Texas BBQ Rub on the WSM tomorrow. Anybody got a good Eastern Carolina vinegar sauce recipe? Woodman

Dave how do you like the Klose mobile ? Seems like an odd length , I,ve been wearing my 24x60 out since Thanksgiving , along with the WSM .

Hi Dave,

Kevin posted this a couple weeks back Kinda Carolina Sauce. Not sure what makes it "kinda", but it is vinegar-based, and since it's Kevin's you can't really go wrong...

Good luck with the feast!

-Mike

Mike, thanks, I'll try that!

Tim, yeah, mine was a custom order. I also had the upright widened to 30" and have 7 shelves in it. I went with two burners on the nose ,on which I cook beans, potatoes , boil water, etc. It has an insulated firebox. I have catered from her (her name is "Texas Hottie II",)since 2005, and have done about 10 jobs per year average. I cook for groups from 50 to 400 persons. What I do is so unique up here, that , up until now, I have been able to get $16/person for two meats, and two sides with utensils, plates, sauce, napkins. Most folks here, know pulled pork, and ribs, but when they taste my briskett they are blown away. Most times I try to sell them on a "Texas BBQ" with ribs and brisket. I do this mainly because, I can cook flats and shave 4 hours from the cook time! Have you done any catering from yours? I went "bass ackwards" with my scenario because I bought the Klose first, THEN the WSM!!!! The Klose is too big and cumbersome for family cooks, so I got the WSM for that!

Good idea on the flats. I might have to pick up some of that Texas BBQ Rub. Hear a lot of good about it.

Tom, they have a real nice forum over there too. The rub has alot of sugar, but is still quite savory with a good kick! I buy it 50 lbs at a time and HIGHLY recommend it. It is GREAT on salmon especially! Price is decent too ( Bill Cannon, the creator and owner) is a personal friend, but I would not recommend it if it wasn't a top notch product. They also sell good nitrile gloves that work great for pulling and slicing hot meat .

www.texasbbqrub.com

ps. that being said, I am also a big fan of Larry Wolfe's product as well.

Dave I,ve only done maybe a couple of catering jobs here , mainly chopped BBQ because there's no flavor or people settle for something they call BBQ . Around the holidays it's boston butts and turkey packed in the Klose with the WSM catching the over load and special orders . I would like to up grade to a larger pit but I,m not sure I could fit it in the garage with all the Weber collection . I,m waiting to hear reports from people that cooked on the larger WSM , especially in the cold .

Here in sunny South Carolina. My family picked up BBQ for Christmas because I was slammed with customers picking up orders and it never came close to a piece of hickory or any otther kind of wood. Seems like restaurants take all the fat out of BBQ but thats where alot of the taste is to me. Thats one reason I bought the WSM and the Klose , nothing like home cookin .

Well, my plans have changed. Just picked up two 8 lb butts and an 8 lb flat. Got the flat injected with Allegro marinade and the butts shot up with Texas Pepper Jelly Spicey Paech Marinade. Rubbed both and they are resting in the fridge. Made some " Bill's Potato Surprise" with crumbled bakers, cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, garlic, cheese, bacon, BBQ Rub. And, will make some slaw to go with it. Also I made some vinegar sauce (eastern Carolina) and have my own KC style sauce. Strting atabout 4:00 am tomorrow. Woody

Back