Weber vs. Brinkmann Gourmet (not the ECB) Charcoal Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Force

Howdy y'all...Newbie to your forum, and I'm really looking for some sage advice. This post is gonna be sort of long, so please bear with me...

I did a search of the forums and came up with a couple strings that did some comparing of the WSM to the BGCS, but from what I noticed, the folks that had used a Brinkmann didn't really seem to be dogging it, they just seemed to indicate it just wasn't as easy to use as the WSM, and didn't really say in what ways. Can anyone definitively tell me what the differences are between the two smokers? The designs appear to be very similar.

The reason I'm asking is that until now, I have been doing my "smoking" on my Weber kettle by offsetting the coals and smoke wood, trying to keep the temp to around 250-300 F, but for obvious reasons have to watch and fiddle with the stupid thing constantly if I want to do a long 'Q. Because of this, I started looking at barrel style smokers with offset fireboxes as a substitute for my kettle. Based on what I've read on The Virtual Weber Bullet website, however, I became increasingly interested in this "vertical" style of smoker for its apparent ease of use and miserly fuel consumption.

The bottom line is, I found the Brinkmann Gourmet (mod # 852-7080-E) selling most places for between $90-120, but my local Lowes has it on sale for $45.00! And I can't find the WSM for under $180.00. So what makes the WSM so much better than the similarly designed BGCS? And does anyone have a line on the WSM for a good price?

Being shaped like R2D2's cousins is pretty much where the similarities end. Unless Brinkmmann has done some serious re-design-- which I doubt-- I would say the problems will be with temp control in a couple ways. There are no adjustable vents on it; the charcoal sits in a pan, not elevated on a grating; and it is not airtight-- which it can't be if it has no adjustable vents. Adjustable vents allow you to fine-tune the amount of oxygen the coals get, thus regulating the burn. When coals burn sitting in a pan, their own ash cannot fall away and ends up smothering the fire. You probably don't want to spend all your time tending the smoker, which is what you'll likely be doing with the Brinkmann.

I had an old ECB, functionally very much like the Gourmet, so I know of where I speak. I researched long and hard and came to the conclusion that the Weber was the way to go in terms of quality and ease of use. It's true that you can run it for hours on end, and it holds unbelievably solid temps.

It also appears from Brinkmann's website that the model is discontinued, which may explain the low price at Lowe's. $180 might seem like a bitter pill when you're maybe only wanting to spend 50 to get your feet wet, but I've never regretted it for a moment.

I was in your shoes just a couple of months ago. I did not buy the Brinkman after read a number of things on the web. One site offered up instructions on how to improve the Brinkman. However, if you weight out the cost and time involved you might as well pick up the WSM. Also my conclusion was that if I did buy the Brinkman, I'd just end up buying the WSM later on, so why not just save the $50 and go ahead and get something that works?
I too was a bit hesitant about the price and couldn't find any real discounts in the spring. The best I could find was a local hardware store that had it already put together for me. My wife was none too pleased when she noticed it out back and then found out the price. Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
However, I can honestly say it was money well spent. I have been able to make my own barbecue that is as good as any of the joints I have visited. Even my wife has come around and truly appreciates it.
You'll save yourself a lot of time and agony if you just go ahead and plunk down the money. If you do it quick enough, like removing a band-aid, you want even notice it /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Then you can start exploring all the different sauce variations and foods to smoke.

I have a BG smoker wich I have running pretty well and use as a second smoker. After of course making my own charcole grate system ,drilling many holes and making my own air vents,dampers and ussing foil to seal large gaps around the lid.

Sounds like a lot of tinkering to get a bullet to function properly?
It was.

Besides air flow and temp control the WSM is made out of better gauge steel -Like the kettles and kettles will last a long time.
So should the WSM.
Thats my 2 cents worth,
Jim

Thanks for the feedback everyone...

Shortly after I posted this, I went back and read the rest of the strings that came up when I did my original search, and I became convinced the WSM is the way to go. My wife was reading along with me, and was chiding me for trying to "cheap out", which I almost never do. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's buying the second time around what I shoulda bought the first time around! It's not like I can't afford it...I just really didn't know what the differences were.

Guess I'll go order my new WSM now...and I'll post again after my first experience with my new toy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb] Dude... You're gettin' a Weber. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Best laugh I've had all day...thanks! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I've said it a million times before, "Buy the best, and only cry once."

Regards,
Chris

Woo Hoo
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> .-'''-.<br /> .~ \<br /> _\/___________<br /> ( | |\ |<br /> | |___|_|_|<br /> | __ |<br /> | \/ | OOOO<br /> | | ( )<br /> ========()== | |<br /> / /\ \--;_| |<br /> / /| | |__/<br /> /_____/ __/ | |-|<br /> / ~~ ) | |<br />(( ~------..)/ |<br /> | | |<br /> | | /<br /> \_________|__/__<br /> | \<br /> \ |<br /> \__________ |<br /> | / /<br /> | / /<br /> | /___/<br /> / /_/..<br /> | / ~'-<br /> | ----.. )<br /> | | ~~~<br /> |____|<br /> |__|<br /> / '-----.<br /> |________/<br /><br /> </pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb] Dude... You're gettin' a Weber. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL@Doug D ... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers!!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The Weber lets you put a brisket on bottom and a pork butt on top. Leave the thing on auto pilot all night and check it first thing in the morning. I usually go 10 pm to 7 am.

Is all night sleep worth a hundred fifty dollars or so?

The Weber could be the first "set it and forget it" or maybe that guy on tv came up with the saying.

Besides, it is easier getting forgiveness than permission from your wife.

Sonny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back