Weber Temp Probe Reading Bounces Around After Repositioning

Jon B

TVWBB Member
I did my first cook and then grill (burgers) with the EXL6 this evening. It went pretty well. I seem to have that hotspot on the right hand side of the SF. I used a Weber temperature probe plugged into the SF in the spatchcocked chicken. I set the alarm for 162. After double checking the temp with a Thermapen I repositioned the probe a couple of times. When I repositioned the probe the second time the temperature reading bounced all over the place from 10+ degrees below 162 to 10+ degrees above 162 in the same spot. At that point I pulled the probe and finished with the Thermapen.

I'm not too concerned because I have a couple of other systems I can use for temp, but that was my first time using a Weber probe. I read of this happening to others with a Weber probe and the SF and I was wondering if anyone has figured out what this is about.

Maybe next time I'll try a Thermoworks probe.

You may have simply caused the connection at the plug to become a touch flaky. I have had this happen on the Z Grill as well. Unplugged and replugged the probe in and all was well again

Moving the bird around moves the probe end in the bird. The probe in the bird is now looser and juices are flowing around the probe end giving changes in temp readings.

Back