Weber Summit Kamado - new owner questions / help needed

Todd K Wisc

TVWBB Fan
I had an 18.5 WSM and 22" kettle that I purchased used. They've been great and I used my weber genesis gas grill so little I traded that to my brother-in-law for woodwork Anyway, I have been wanting to get an upgrade. I love the WSM, but it really is for low and slow only and hated the way the lid sit's inside the middle section versus over on the kettle so in drizzle or rain or snow, it made the ash clean-up a real pain and temps weren't as consistent..

Decided I wanted to get something else and considered a pellet grill (Weber or Recteq), but then thought about it and I am so set up for charcoal smoking / grilling, it made more sense to get the WSK. So, I purchased a WSK E6 last week.

I put it together and did a burn in on friday. Saturday I did a pork butt and after wrapping, I put on some chicken pieces I was doing in the WSM in stages for Easter Sunday lunch (I have a huge family). I had a half pan in there with water under the butt and then filled the grill grate with chicken, so juices were landing on the deflector plate. Interestingly, the chicken from the WSK tasted more grilled versus the smoked flavor I was used to coming off the WSM even though both were 225 (WSM) to 250 (WSK). It was a notable difference in flavor. Neither was better or worse, just different.

So the questions issues I had are the following:
  1. The deflector plate looks terrible after one cook. I like things clean and neat. I am wondering if anyone has found a good, round, drip / water pan that can sit on the deflector to catch more of the drippings and give me less of the grilled flavor vs the desired smoke flavor? I measured the diameter of the plate and it is 13" to the lower area and 18" total (covers the holes). Also some of the drippings got down into the ash clean out. I guess I am so used to the easy cleanup with the water pan on the WSM when foiled, I am spoiled....
  2. What is your preferred method of cleaning the grates? I did low and slow on the WSK for like 10 hours. I then pulled the deflector plate and opened up the vents to grill some Impossible burgers for my daughter (vegetarian). So nice to be able to do that on one grill. So yesterday I went to clean the grates and I use the weber grill cleaner spray, let it sit for 30 minutes, and it just didn't take anything off the of grill grate or deflector plate. I've never had that issue on the WSM so I figure it is related to the higher temp cooking. Or should I just let it blacken and not worry about cleaning it so thoroughly?
  3. Cover - my grill sits in a shed so the cover is needed for dust protection only. I am not paying $87 for the weber one, and wondering if anyone has a link to one of the classic accessories or others on Amazon that would work.
  4. I set up the coals exactly like I do on the WSM. I use a coffee can in the middle of the charcoal grate, then fill charcoal around it with wood chunks underneath and in the coffee can. Start my starter charcoal, pour in middle and pull the coffee can. Is that what you all do? What is your preferred method of setting / starting it up?
Overall, I am pleased with my first cooks on the WSK. Looking forward to trying other things. I attached a picture of my set up on Saturday.

Sorry for the long winded thread, but looking for tips and tricks to help the cleanup.

Todd

Attachments

• 20230408_072923.jpg
    20230408_072923.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Welcome to the WSK club.

Heavy duty foil on the deflector plate. Remove it after a cook. It will discolor over time but don’t put too much thought into it.

For long low and slow cooks with smoke, I use a Turkey aluminum disposable pan with water or apple juice in it. This helps regulate temps to 225-250° throughout the cook.

More wood for more smoke. For chicken, I like oak, apple, alder a small amount of mesquite or cherry.

I use Kingsford Pro (KPro) from Costco for low and slow. For direct cooks I used Jealous Devil (JD) exclusively.

I just scrap the grates when they’re warm or hot. I’m not seeing spotless. I’m seeking no residual junk.

I recommend and like the Weber cover. Many might agree. It is what it is.

You can search tags on the forum for WSK to see WSK cooks. I have a few posted.

Ask away any questions. People here are helpful and kind. And post pics of your cooks and methods so we can all learn.

Welcome Todd ! Glad to see another WSK owner in the ranks. You've made a fantastic choice.

I'll offer some of my opinions/suggestions. I'm sure some others will be along with theirs

1. I cover the deflector with foil and / or set a SS drip pan on top of it. I have a 14 inch and 16 inch SS pan I use in my BGE and will use the 16 in the WSK as well. When I use the SS drip pan I cover it with HD foil.

here is a link to some https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/drip-pans-for-kamado-grills

2. I don't' really clean my grates. I will spin the upper grate around when I have coals off to one side to burn them off, otherwise I find I do enough higher temp cooks that the grates sort of take care of themselves. The grates are SS and when they are fully coated, they are what they are. My WSK is about a year old so there are still a few shiny spots here and there but otherwise fully covered with carbonized grease. FWIW, I also have a large BGE since 2011 and I've never cleaned those grates either. Some high heat and a brushing or scraping now and then is all.

3. I use a beach towel in summer to keep the dust, tree droppings and bird droppings off the grill. Last year I bought four that match on sale at costco for 11 or 12 dollars each.

I guess my tendencies are more like "cook a little more, clean a little less" <------ wait, is that a song???

edit: The Genesis 1000 has a bikini, and the others get a beach towel.

20221026_085854-jpg.61654

Welcome to the WSK club.

Heavy duty foil on the deflector plate. Remove it after a cook. It will discolor over time but don’t put too much thought into it.

For long low and slow cooks with smoke, I use a Turkey aluminum disposable pan with water or apple juice in it. This helps regulate temps to 225-250° throughout the cook.

More wood for more smoke. For chicken, I like oak, apple, alder a small amount of mesquite or cherry.

I use Kingsford Pro (KPro) from Costco for low and slow. For direct cooks I used Jealous Devil (JD) exclusively.

I just scrap the grates when they’re warm or hot. I’m not seeing spotless. I’m seeking no residual junk.

I recommend and like the Weber cover. Many might agree. It is what it is.

You can search tags on the forum for WSK to see WSK cooks. I have a few posted.

Ask away any questions. People here are helpful and kind. And post pics of your cooks and methods so we can all learn.

Thanks, I never thought of wrapping the plate. Stupid not to think of that. I assume you just poke your finger thru the holes. for the smoke, or do you let it work its way around that?

I use the Kingsford Pro for start up. The fastest I have found in the chimney. I use the B&B charcoal Briquettes almost exclusively for low and slow. I got 13 hours at 225 on a WSM 18.5 in January in Wisconsin (in the 20's F). For an uninsulated cooker with B&B, that is phenomenal, IMO. I purchased a bag of B&B Mesquite lump to try for grilling.

Thanks, I never thought of wrapping the plate. Stupid not to think of that. I assume you just poke your finger thru the holes. for the smoke, or do you let it work its way around that?

I use the Kingsford Pro for start up. The fastest I have found in the chimney. I use the B&B charcoal Briquettes almost exclusively for low and slow. I got 13 hours at 225 on a WSM 18.5 in January in Wisconsin (in the 20's F). For an uninsulated cooker with B&B, that is phenomenal, IMO. I purchased a bag of B&B Mesquite lump to try for grilling.
gently poke holes in the foil once wrapped. i have and use disposable gloves to protect my fingers and make for easy cleanups when working with the inside of the grill.

KPro in the chimney works well. for long cooks, low and slow (LAS), i load the bottom of the WSK and use bacon grease in a paper towel or napkin and light those and place a few coals atop the lit greased paper towel. works like a charm and is 100% effective.

1680793905795-jpeg.68716

for deep cleaning the lower cook bowl, i use this from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DDFRQ8Q/?tag=tvwb-20

super easy. spray on, let sit for 10-20 minutes and wipe off. a few applications can get the bowl back to new. my S6 is due for its annual cleanup.

i recommend foiling the lower cook grate when grilling, so as to catch drippings int he foil. makes for easier cleanups and less garbage in the catch pan and lower bowl.

i am super happy with the WSK for smoking and grilling. best grill i have ever owned. nothing even comes close.

i just turned out two briskets back to back over two days, with each brisket running 7.5 to 8 hours total for perfect cooks. i'm talking like jello on the meat. nice and jiggly and ridiculously moist.

you can see those cooks here: https://tvwbb.com/threads/🔯-passover-2023-🔯-the-cook-starts-this-weekend.94330/

you can see all my cooks here where i try to document them in some detail for others to learn from: https://tvwbb.com/search/660053/

The deflector plate looks terrible after one cook. I like things clean and neat. I am wondering if anyone has found a good, round, drip / water pan that can sit on the deflector to catch more of the drippings and give me less of the grilled flavor
Greeting Todd,

I am really new to charcoal grilling, and I decided to “send it” and bought a WSC back in September.

I too wasn’t happy cleaning the deflector plate and bought a paella pan from Amazon. It’s probably not easier to clean, but it has other uses.

Gourmanity Made By Garcima, 16inch Carbon Steel Paella pans, 40cm Polished Steel Paella Pan Large From Spain, Imported Spanish Paella Dish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098BQ9PJS/?tag=tvwb-20

I have the older style deflector plate, but the pan gives good coverage.

AF93AC84-9AB7-4051-8712-9B65C8FB38F7.jpeg9023E4D6-6A3D-40E5-A5C0-94F123A56B08.jpeg

Brett pretty much nailed it. I also use a large foil pan with whatever I’m spritzing with, generally apple cider vinegar. It catches drippings.

I also have the Summit charcoal with the previous deflector, and I just last fall cleaned it for the first time in nearly three years that I’ve had it. Just got the grill to max temp and cooked everything off, scraped and cooked again. Same with grates, I don’t clean them and will just high temp burn everything off.

Also have the Weber cover. Actually had, I took it off to cook, it rained and apparently blew away because I can’t find it. So I’ll be buying another.

Enjoy, it is truly a cooking masterpiece. I love mine.

This is great. Thanks to all of you.

I had reviewed the drip pan and spacers thread, but missed the links in there. That pan looks like the one.

i recommend foiling the lower cook grate when grilling, so as to catch drippings int he foil. makes for easier cleanups and less garbage in the catch pan and lower bowl.

I am not sure what you mean by "lower cook grate"? Isn't there just the charcoal grate, which would be on the upper level for grilling, and then the cooking grate on top where the food would go? Are there more than just these 2 grates in the WSK? Do you foil the charcoal grate and then put the charcoal right on the foil? 🤔

you can see all my cooks here where i try to document them in some detail for others to learn from: https://tvwbb.com/search/660053/

I clicked on the link, and it returned No Search Results. Is there a better search I can do to see your cooks?

I am not sure what you mean by "lower cook grate"? Isn't there just the charcoal grate, which would be on the upper level for grilling, and then the cooking grate on top where the food would go? Are there more than just these 2 grates in the WSK? Do you foil the charcoal grate and then put the charcoal right on the foil? 🤔

I clicked on the link, and it returned No Search Results. Is there a better search I can do to see your cooks?
I am pretty sure he meant on the charcoal grate around the vortex. I did the vortex for chicken wings over the weekend, and I forgot the foil and it was a bit of a mess for cleanup. But that sure did a nice even cook around the outside of the vortex.

so I ordered a custom charcoal basket from Arbor Fab (with the movable minion center). It really fits in there nice and is very similar in size to the 18.5 WSM. And I ordered the 2" pizza pan for the drip tray and ceramic blocks recommended in one of the threads above (you can see the pan under the WSK). Can't wait to do another low and slow on the WSK.

2023-04-22 16.55.32.jpg2023-04-22 18.57.22.jpg

my apologies for any confusion i caused.

i run my WSK with three grates. the topmost is the actual cooking grate, where the foods go. the second "cook grate" is an additional charcoal grate that i bought so i don't have to play change-the-coal-grate-position-game. i leave all three grates in place except when i need to use the lower coal grate for cooks (low and slow with deflector in place) or a direct heat cook but with lots of distance between the protein(s). this way i can clean up and move quicker versus having only one coal grate.

i foil the upper position charcoal grate when i have coal on the upper grate, usually in charcoal baskets. this keeps the WSK lower bowl much cleaner and makes doing an actual cleanup (easy off oven spray) super fast and without lots of fat/junk in the lower bowl. i discard the used foil (heavy duty alum foil) just about each time i cook. on some occasions, i will get 2-3 cooks with the foil in place, all depending on how my coals are being arranged.

on searching for my cooks, follow these steps from this website:

click on my name in any of my posts here
click the Find box and select Find all threads by Brett-EDH
click on any post that i posted in Photo Gallery and you will see all my cooks, by thread.

each thread will offer different details of what i cooked, sometimes the setup is very clear with pics, and a walkthrough of a cook

lmk if this doesn't work for you and i'll figure out a different way you can google search my threads on TVWBB

so I ordered a custom charcoal basket from Arbor Fab (with the movable minion center). It really fits in there nice and is very similar in size to the 18.5 WSM. And I ordered the 2" pizza pan for the drip tray and ceramic blocks recommended in one of the threads above (you can see the pan under the WSK). Can't wait to do another low and slow on the WSK.

View attachment 69659View attachment 69660
your WSK looks ridiculously clean. i'm jealous. or you need to cook more.

on searching for my cooks, follow these steps from this website:

click on my name in any of my posts here
click the Find box and select Find all threads by Brett-EDH
click on any post that i posted in Photo Gallery and you will see all my cooks, by thread.

each thread will offer different details of what i cooked, sometimes the setup is very clear with pics, and a walkthrough of a cook

lmk if this doesn't work for you and i'll figure out a different way you can google search my threads on TVWBB

Thanks! That led me to creating this link that searches the Photo Gallery for all threads started by you:
https://tvwbb.com/forums/photo-gallery.72/?starter_id=48478

View attachment 69659View attachment 69660

Looking good. Can you post a link to the pizza pan?

Back