Weber Summit Charcoal - Kamado E6 - how are you grilling steaks?

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
So, I took the plunge and bought a new Weber Summit Charcoal E-6 and did my first cook. Looking for any tips on grilling steaks on this bad boy. I overshot temperature a little bit on my first couple of tri-tips. I used two full weber baskets of lit coals, seared over hot coals, moved over the indirect side and finished way too fast. Indirect side of the grill was 400F according to the Smoke Fire. This was using plain old KF Original. I will likely use about 1/2 the amount of briquettes next time (two baskets, half full each) and hopefully not finish so fast.

Lots of info on Youtube on how to smoke with the E-6.... haven't seen much on how to do steaks. Any advice would be appreciated.

new E6.jpg

I don't have one but when I do steaks on the kettle I reverse sear as it is much easier to get temps up than down. Start off with a few lit coals in a pile of non lit ones and start cooking at low temps. When the steak gets to 110 -115° take it off. Get the fire roaring and then sear the steak. I only do it on a large very thick >1.5". Under 1.5" I just use high direct heat and keep turning the steak so it does not burn but gets to the temp I want.

similar to Joe, but a little different.

I smoke my tri tip indirect at 180 to 200F grate until internal temp reaches 120F.

I pull it, wrap/tent it to rest while cranking the heat up for a reverse sear.

We tend to like tri tip med rare and this hits it well.

When I say wrap/tent, it is a tight tent over the top.

I also cut the tri tip along the seam so I can sear the larger section and the smaller section independently and not overcook the smaller section. I'll find a pic to explain what i'm trying to say.

( these pics were on the pellet, but its the same idea )

120F and resting.

20210828_184626.jpg

Cut along the seam

20210828_184734.jpg

reverse sear. the larger piece gets a slightly harder sear than the smaller one.

20210828_185025.jpg

Last edited:
Kettle and Summit are two different animals.

I usually just put charcoal in the bottom, grate lowest position! (I almost never move the charcoal grate to the upper position-too hot), and get my temp around 3-325 or so roughly, sometimes higher, and toss them over the coals.

When they’re just about to temp, I open the lid, within about 30 seconds I have flames whipped up and tickling the meat. Quick sear and pull, rest 5-10 and enjoy the greatness.

So, I took the plunge and bought a new Weber Summit Charcoal E-6 and did my first cook. Looking for any tips on grilling steaks on this bad boy. I overshot temperature a little bit on my first couple of tri-tips. I used two full weber baskets of lit coals, seared over hot coals, moved over the indirect side and finished way too fast. Indirect side of the grill was 400F according to the Smoke Fire. This was using plain old KF Original. I will likely use about 1/2 the amount of briquettes next time (two baskets, half full each) and hopefully not finish so fast.

Lots of info on Youtube on how to smoke with the E-6.... haven't seen much on how to do steaks. Any advice would be appreciated.

View attachment 39261
Did this last night:

1634609365431.jpeg

Indirect down the center runway and flipped every 6 mins for 24 mins and when I hit 130° I seared each side and pulled at what read 140° on thermapen. Rested for 10 and then sliced into this:

1634609474080.jpeg

Kettle and Summit are two different animals.

I usually just put charcoal in the bottom, grate lowest position! (I almost never move the charcoal grate to the upper position-too hot), and get my temp around 3-325 or so roughly, sometimes higher, and toss them over the coals.

When they’re just about to temp, I open the lid, within about 30 seconds I have flames whipped up and tickling the meat. Quick sear and pull, rest 5-10 and enjoy the greatness.
About how much charcoal do you put in the bottom when you're running like this? Half a full size chimney or so?

I have an S6 and in *general*, for steaks, chops, burgers etc, I have the coals on the upper charcoal grate all banked on one side (like the SnS setup). Usually lit with a chimney so I have a large bed of red hot coals. I riveted my two charcoal baskets together to make a single basket. See photo below.

Sear the steak both side directly over coals until charred to preference, then move over to the cooler side to come up to temp....I'll usually pull at around 120-130 degrees for the way we like them, then let them rest.

I don't really pay attention to the temp in this mode....the direct coals are directing heat straight up at the thermometer, and it is usually reading about 500 - 550 degrees.

1634612171303.png

About how much charcoal do you put in the bottom when you're running like this? Half a full size chimney or so?
I usually have a 3/4 to 7/8 full chimney when I light the chimney.

I use the CBs very frequently because I can dump my unused coals/lump back into the chimney to start my next fire. Pre-lit coals restart very easily and I’ll top off the chimney to get to 3/4-7/8 full.

This amount makes the CBs full and still below the top cooking grate. And will give you plenty of heat for cooking.

With the pour over method of recycling coals you barely get dirty hands and it makes for easy moving of coals around and saves time. Im lazy so I like to save time.

The E6 is so efficient. On my tri tips last night I barely used much coal. So I’ll have plenty ready for my next cook.

I am using substantially less fuel now than when I started cooking on the E6 in June. The E6 doesn’t need a lot of coal/lump when cooking. But keeping your CBs full will ensure enough heat for your cook.

I only use the lower coal grate position when doing longer cooks/smokes: ribs and briskets. Even then I have 70% of my fuel unburned from a full load of two CBs and some middle coal. See this pic for example:

1634612317901.jpeg

Ask away. I’ll do my best to help.

You are going to love your cooking machine! Just start using it and experiment. You will love the temperature control and be surprised at the fuel economy. When I used my 26 inch kettle I never even considered snuffing out the fire to save what was left of the charcoal. With the E6 there is so much left you would be wasting. I have yet to light all of the charcoal to cook. A small fire can heat the whole thing to do do most grilling even with the fuel grate in the low position.

Most of my grilling is done on a 2 zone fire, I load the fuel grate and light the center of the fuel grate in the lower position. I cook on the outer ring of the cooking grate unless I am searing then I use the center. Most cooks are completed before the fire spreads to the outer portion of the fuel grate. I control the heat even more with the lower and upper air controls. I have been using KJ Big Block lump and have plenty left for the next cook.

No doubt, the E6 is s different animal. I'll just have to keep working to tame this beast like the rest of you pit masters!

"Efficient" means doing the same or more with less - so using less charcoal makes sense regardless of the set up. I'll probably do some chicken on there tonight and see how that goes.

No doubt, the E6 is s different animal. I'll just have to keep working to tame this beast like the rest of you pit masters!

"Efficient" means doing the same or more with less - so using less charcoal makes sense regardless of the set up. I'll probably do some chicken on there tonight and see how that goes.
yeah, that's accurate. i load and use substantially less coal then when i first got the E6.

i don't know how others are loading and how much load they're using, but i've found that recycling unburned coal/lump into the chimney for the next startup makes it very easy to light the chimney. in short, pre burned coals light quicker from my experience and running full CBs ensure I can get to high heat on indirect (say chicken halves) and cooking with the lid closed. crispy chicken skin 100% of the time with 2 CBs running and dial temp getting to 400-450F and after the first 20 mins, you can dial down the bottom to reduce cook temp to 325-350F for a near perfect chicken every time.

looking forward to your results and experiences. i'm thinking my next cook will be burgers and then Vietnamese charbroiled chicken thighs.

less is more on the S/E6. i think other owners might agree with that statement.

and side note, i heavy duty foil the defector plate 100% of the time I use it. makes for VERY simple and fast cleanups (ribs and briskets). since i store that plate under the E6 when not in use, i don't want to attract backyard animals seeking food from any leftover smells/reside on that plate.

View attachment 39261
I only use one basket Or I get too high a temp. The big trick on the E6 for Steaks in bottom vent wide open and bring temp down using upper vent. Counter intuitive from a kettle, but it how you control a Kamado.

Some ideas....maybe functionally similar to what Brett showed.

I had a friend make up a couple of these charcoal baskets many years ago.
basket.jpg

I can load it up for a low/slow minion burn with the basket down in the bottom of the komado and a diffuser between the fire and meat or....
loaded basket.jpg

...put it on top of the diffuser rack to go right up tight under the grate to sear.
DSC_5393.JPG

...then move the meat to the side and finish to internal temperature.
DSC_5577.JPG

Last edited:

Back