Weber Summit Charcoal Buying Tips?

Mack Manning

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm considering a used Summit Charcoal, preferably with the table like a Performer.

Are there any known issues I should look for?

Does anyone have an opinion on a fair price for a used one?

I'll be using it primarily for grilling because I like hands off smoking in my electric. With that in mind, is it worth the premium over a used Performer?

I'll be using it primarily for grilling because I like hands off smoking in my electric. With that in mind, is it worth the premium over a used Performer?
Summit Charcoals do it all. You might never use your other cookers again. I haven't, for the past year.

Is it worth it? To me, yes. I absolutely love my E6.

If it's the gas model, Gen 1 with table, you're price competing against a new one which runs around $2,058 on Amazon. So a good price would be $1500 for an excellent condition one. I'd probably go up to $1,700 if it was in superb condition. Anything less than that would be a good deal.

Condition is key though.

I have had zero issues in one full year of ownership and a lot of cooks on my E6. Zero warranty issues or complaints.

The Gen1 has a few different features than the S6 (Gen2); different diffuser plate, diffuser plate store underneath the cart on Gen1, Gen 1 cart is slightly different than Gen2.

Just make sure it's not a franken grill where someone has cobbled together a Gen1 and a Gen2. I saw that 1x on a used for sale unit.

Ask away any other questions you might have. There are a bunch of active WSC/WSK owners here.

I'm considering a used Summit Charcoal, preferably with the table like a Performer.

Are there any known issues I should look for?

Does anyone have an opinion on a fair price for a used one?

Don't settle for a table less unit. I wouldn't worry about any issues, unless it is something glaring. I would bet Weber would still cover most things under warranty.

I got a brand new Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Station off of Facebook Marketplace for $1,100, but I got very lucky and I looked for about two years almost every day until I found it. I would say a fair price for a used one in decent condition would be about $1,400.

I've had both the Performer and now the Summit and the Summit is way superior to the Performer in almost every facet. Those two cookers aren't even in the same league. But I have loved both and would be perfectly happy with either as well.

Andy and Brett have pretty much covered it. I generally agree with their pricing, though I suspect it might be location dependent; in my area, for instance, I've seen only 2 come up for sale in the last few years, both of them for nearly what they cost new. They definitely hold a huge portion of their value, at least around here.

Can't think of any real issues; just check to make sure the owner assembled it correctly. Check for loose bolts, etc.; make sure the plug for external probe hole is there and reasonably secure.

You'll love it. I've had the old "daisywheel" kettles and a Master-Touch, and the Summit is far superior. It's more versatile, holds heat better, and has much more precise temperature control. The only thing I use the Master-Touch for these days is rotisserie, because the Summit performs better at every other task. They're a delight to use and worth every penny.

Yes, it’s that much better than a Performer or any other kettle, period. They do the same things, only Summit does them better.

Yes, it’s that much better than a Performer or any other kettle, period. They do the same things, only Summit does them better.
This ^^^

I've yet to hear of anyone who has sold their WSC/WSK because they don't like it. Never seen a used one for sale in the U.K..
People like them and hang onto them.

My Weber Performer Deluxe which was bought new in January, 2020 has been a real winner here in Costa Rica. However, sadly I cannot afford that Weber Summit without the table that costs around $1500 here in Costa Rica but also looks like a real winner!

Thanks for all the advice. I picked up an original with table today.

It was a birthday gift from wife and he used it as a very fancy kettle a couple times per month for the last 2-3 years, didn't realize the charcoal grate could move to the the lower spot. Hinged heat deflector had never been removed from the holder until today.

It's in good working condition, a little ugly in places from life in the elements.

The chrome on the top vent is flaking, same as all the chrome on my gas Summit.

Center food grate rusted out and he tossed it, replaced with cast iron sear grate.

Black painted sheet metal has surface rust around the handle. What are those slots intended for?

Lid seems very wobbly on the hinges, so I'll reassemble that.

Thermometer is half full of water.

Attachments

• 286142944_4923343787789123_6309278770314226689_n.jpg
    286142944_4923343787789123_6309278770314226689_n.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 42
  • 286281089_4645641108871191_2713026414685324561_n.jpg
    286281089_4645641108871191_2713026414685324561_n.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20220617_230318217.jpg
    PXL_20220617_230318217.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20220617_230330621.jpg
    PXL_20220617_230330621.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20220617_230421715.jpg
    PXL_20220617_230421715.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20220617_230437907.jpg
    PXL_20220617_230437907.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 42
looks like it was stored outside without a cover. the water in thermometer will evaporate. the rust is odd, so i'd recco a call to weber. the rapid vent is replaceable and weber might do you a favor on that. i'm guessing you got out for $1200-$1300? not that it matters. i just like to track used prices over time.

welcome to the club. we expect pics of excellent quality cooks with innovative recipes and methods. get a crackin. we're counting on you!

congrats!

looks like it was stored outside without a cover. the water in thermometer will evaporate. the rust is odd, so i'd recco a call to weber. the rapid vent is replaceable and weber might do you a favor on that. i'm guessing you got out for $1200-$1300? not that it matters. i just like to track used prices over time.

welcome to the club. we expect pics of excellent quality cooks with innovative recipes and methods. get a crackin. we're counting on you!

congrats!
Thanks, Brett! Yes, it was outside on the deck without a cover.

I've been baking the thermometer in a low oven and it's nearly dry; patience is not my strong suit.

Seller said he replaced the gas regulator under warranty, but had not tested it. I just fired it up with MAPP gas because my propane is outside in a severe t-storm (again, new toy, no patience). Lit on the first click. I wonder if MAPP gas would help to light the charcoal when the grate is higher up?

I paid $800 with a Chinese cast iron sear grate insert, new Weber GBS chicken insert and 20lb tank adapter hose. It was listed on FB for 2 weeks at $850 and I could not resist anymore. I use gas far more than charcoal, so would not have spent any more. Seller is a nice guy, 10 minutes away and offered to file warranty for anything I want to fix. He liked the grill, but wife does most of the cooking and was afraid of using it on a wood deck, so they bought a Napoleon gasser. I'll ask for new vent and sheet metal, see what happens. I plan to keep this one under cover for many years, so I'm willing to put some dollars and effort into cleaning it up.

Is there a market for the folding heat deflector or the bottom metal tray with holder for it? If collectors want them, I'll sell them off and use a pizza pan and wire shelf like the current models.

Wow 850 is a solid price even with the little issues. Mine is the one without the table, sat in the store for three years before I came along haha. At the time, well it was there ready to rock and roll, and I didn’t think I would want/need the table. Hindsight would be nice to have but certainly not a deal breaker.

Enjoy. Out of fixing to be 18 grills/smokers I have, if I had to only keep one, it would be the Summit.

Since no once answered this question: "What are those slots intended for?"... you can hang the grate and center food grate on them so you don't have to lay them on the ground or the table. I hang my deflector on one of the slots when not in use.

I love my S6 Summit - my wife hears this every time I cook on it!

Back